Much better

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
After Sid's odd little buckity kiickity the other day, our ride this morning was much better. On the bareback pad still, but it is a very nice one with thigh rolls and a foam cantle. so I had something to keep me no board when he spooked and spun when my phone rang unexpectedly!

Apart from that rather ridiculous evolution he was very good. He is still on high alert when we go along a track he doesn't know, but I think that's fair. When we were nearly home we stopped by a horsey friend's little yard on the road as she was there, and I sat on Sid and chatted to her and he couldn't have been calmer or more polite. I took the opportunity to slide off and lead the rest of the way - he'd started to feel his feet - and my knees practically buckled!

I don't think my position is very good on the pad at the moment. I don't seem to be able to get my seat bones connected with his back to ask him to lift and soften. He's very responsive to the bit and will collect himself and draw in his head, but it doesn't mean his back comes up properly - I think his many riders may have settled for "going in a shape" rather than actually asking him to work well from behind. I definitely need a lesson or 6.

Reactions: Jessey

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
What's the situation with a saddle? I know there can be long lead times at the moment if something isn't in stock, it's a good thing you have the bareback pad so you can at least keep him ticking over.

I'm sure the high alert is just that it's new hacks on his own, most horses will be interested and on the look out in that situation and if he's spent a lot of time in a riding school (am I remembering that correctly?) he may not have done much hacking out on his own. Likewise I suspect not lifting his back is less to do with your riding and more to do with his background, but I'm sure it will come with time and as he relaxes.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
He’s a good sort isn’t he, i sniggered a bit that he spooked at you least phone ringing, maybe he could feel the vibration with you on a bareback pad 😋

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
What's the situation with a saddle?
Saddler came and said Ziggy's saddle fitted him well but he needed a bigger Prolite girth. Girth took ages to come. When it arrived he hated it and I needed a replacement. Also chiropractor friend was concerned it might be bridging on one side so I don't want to ride him until my RI has seen and approved the saddle fit. She (a) always tells the truth and (b) knows the saddler very very well so will be able to tell her if she slipped up!

He seems happy with the cord girth, I am getting a soft leather crescent shape also.

I'm sure the high alert is just that it's new hacks on his own
Yes of course. When I rode him out at the dealer's he was completely uninterested, switched off. Now he is happier he is paying a lot of attention and is quite reactive. I don't mind that at all, I like a horse with his wits about him