Much needed rocket from RI!

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I am a nervous jumper. And nerves and youngsters are not a great mix. I have popped tiny cross poles with Cally in the arena but decided I needed a jumping lesson or I will never get anywhere with her jumping.

As I am going to Somerford tomorrow (Yippeee or is that Yikes?) we decided to do XC style jumping in a field full of logs. After warming up in w/t/c I pointed her towards the first small log. She cantered towards it, and 2 strides out I became really hesitant which put doubts in her mind and made her stick a short 3rd stride in which meant she was right under the log and needed a huge cat leap to clear it. That scared me so the next time I was even more hesitant and the same thing happened. My RI stopped me and gave me a much needed kick up the .....

She said Cally was perfect - doing absolutely everything asked of her. She was seeing the stride and committing to jumping but I was bottling it which was totally unfair on her and would ruin her! She'd start getting hesitant and unsure herself and start running out and stopping. Plus the cat leaps were scaring her a little as she was getting in so close and therefore feeling the need to take huge leaps. It was exactly what I needed to hear. After that I rode much more positively and she jumped several logs - all small but they looked mahoosive to me!! Best of all she was then jumping from a reasonable distance from the fence.

Couldn't be more proud of her. She is a star.

Sometimes a good kick up the bum is required! I had a similar problem with canter. RI simply shouted "And after C you WILL canter or I will beat you with your own stirrups! You are asking her to canter and then blocking her forward movement so she drops back into trot. You are going to stop confusing my mare before you spoil her. Now CANTER!" So I did (feeling very guilty) and it worked. (And my RI isn't a dragon either - she just knows how and when to push me).

Sounds like a really good lesson for you both. Well done! :D

I think the best RIs are the ones that know when to give a kick up the bot, and put the pressure on but also know when it's not needed and back off. Sounds like you did fabulous and should feel proud of yourself and Cally. x

My RI is not a dragon either, but it was exactly the right way to inspire me and give me confidence. If I am going to train a young horse I need to man up or let someone else teach her to jump!

Sit up and look straight ahead! I had a not so good jumping lesson in the week until it dawned on me that I kept looking down, leaving me in the wrong position to ride away from the jumps. I get nervous about jumping too but I love it and so does Rox.

Ooh I hope I have the confidence when it comes to jumping (I've still got a while to go!) just the thought actually terrifies me and I'm so hesitant in everything I do until I've had loads of practice.. eek:confused:

Ahh but you sound like you did really well! ;)

newrider.com