Muck boots?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Anybody got any experience of the Muck boots that you can ride in? Are they any good? Do they keep your feet warm? All experiences welcome good and bad please!:wink:

Yep. I love muck boots, don't do 'proper' riding boots :smoke:

For short boots. My favs are the dublin spirit riding trainers. They are designed for riding in. They have a zip and look like normal shoes when you aren;t at the yard but on the downside the aren't good for walking through wet grass as they aren't water proof.....

....so my long boots are Tynes. Water proof and designed for riding in. Easy to get on and off as the calf is neoprene which you roll down. They fit my big calves very easilly too. Downsides are that you don't get a lot of flexibility throguh the ankle which is which I prefer riding in short boots.

One thing I would never do is go back to boots with laces, especially coming into yucky weather. Nothing worse than fidling with wet laces when you have cold hands :redcarded:

I bought a pair of the Tyne muck boots (the ones with a steel shank for riding) when I started again last year. They were cheap, they look ok, they are very comfortable and VERY warm. I rode in them in the sub-zero weather we had last Jan/Feb and never had cold toes.

Disadvantages are that you can't compete in them and they are quite wide, so you have to be sure there is space in your stirrups. I wouldn't want to do dressage in them either as they would feel a bit clumsy for a highly schooled horse! But for hacking they are fine. I like mine and still wear them for yard work and when it is really cold, even though I now have a lovely pair of Dublin Pinnacles :wink:

I have Muck Boot Tynes, with a riding sole. Got to say they keep your feet absolutely toasty warm, :hot: so are brilliant for winter. My last pair lasted a good four years, wearing them really regularly up at the yard and for walking the dogs. I used a pair of wellies the other day and couldn't believe how cold my feet were...:cold:

I'm not that keen on riding in them though. I'll do it if I have to, but find they have no flexibility through the ankle, so I prefer to use short boots and chaps for riding. But if you have quite a good leg position you might find them ok for riding.

Thanks for the replies! I have gone and bought some, so am really hoping they will keep me warm, last year I wore my Harry Hall Yale boots most of the time, even tho they had a good sole for grip, they didn't keep my poor feet warm. One day I was so cold I could have cried (yes, I am that dramatic!lol) and I suffered with chilblains again.......fingers crossed these do the trick!

Very warm, I lived in mine for all of last winter but they do split easily. where the neoprene meets the rubber. I found them very heavy to start with for working/walking to catch in etc and didn't get on with them at all for riding, too wide and too thick for my tastes!!

I have bought a pair of HKM lookalikes this year for yard work and standing teaching in the RS in cold weather. Much lighter weight and less then half the price.

Ooh, will watch out for 'em splittin then eml! Mind you, I had Hunter wellies and they died on me after a few weeks and I managed to "break" Mountain HOrse Rimfrost riders....

Used to love the tyne boots, but couldn't ride in them, so now get the tack style as find them more comfy and better grip in mud.

I have the Derwent model as found this fitted my fat legs better and they have proper grips. They are great and kept my feed toasty and warm last winter - in fact a little too toasty at times!! But agree with others, watch out for them splitting on the seals, particularly at the back of your ankle!

I had the short Just Togs Mudrucker ones previously and liked them too but they did remind me of divers footwear, they split in the plastic foot bit eventually..

I have had the muck boot tyne verison since they came out, love them, feet very warm even in thin socks, you can ride in them but I agree they are a little clumpy for it...:wink:

Rode in 'em yesterday, bit disappointed as I had no real room in my stirrups (it does warn you on the box about having enough clearance). I did buy them really for yard work, but was pleased about being able to ride in them, as in the morning I don't have much time for getting changed into different boot types! However, I don't want to shell out for bigger stirrups (I use the Mountain Horse safety ones and they're not cheap) so think I'll just have to resign myself to getting changed into my other boots to ride. I hate cold feet tho and they did keep me warm all day yesterday.

i have the tyne ones, they are great at keeping your feet warm, but if your feet are freezing (eg cant feel toes frozen) before you put them un they dont really warm them up, i did regain feeling though by the time i took them off but still cold. if feet are ok beofre putting them on they make them really nice and toasty.

also very very comfy to wear
i have the tyne riding ones aswell, i agree they are big and i find as there is no support in the ankle my ankle "falls over" not sure how to explain it but its my left foot only and when i realise it and "lift it upright" again its sore :cry: but i still ride in them anyway most the time, depends if i can be bothered to put my boots and chaps on, and most the time i cant :giggle:

my mum has the 'tack' ones which she really likes

I hated the riding ones but I loved the ordinary wellie ones - but I kept wearing them out:(. This year I bought myself the Derwent ones - they are really ugly (they have a hiking boot type sole) but they are so comfy:D. You couldnt ride in them though.

I wish I'd saved myself a bit of money now and opted for the yard only ones! Oh well, you live and learn. Best not to tell OH, he was delighted and thought he'd bought me something lovely - he hates my moaning about cold feet during the winter.......

newrider.com