mud fever and equi chaps

FinneghansMummy

Nov 5, 2002
South Yorkshire
Visit site
hello

ive got a horse, finneghan, with mud fever. hes gettin his feathers clipped off soon so its easier to treat but i was wondering if anybody has tried equi chaps

i was thinking of getting some for him but dont want to waste my money as they are expensive!

at the moment i wash his legs, dry them with a hairdryer, and cover them in udder cream, this seems to help but id rather prevent it alltogether if i can.

also if you have tried them what are ther sizes like as hes a ID/Clydesdale/irish sport horse n he has massive thick legs

so if anybody has tried them will u let me now

thank you
:)

Equichaps - have tried them

Hi,
I posted a very long & detailed reply about mud fever a couple of months back. My mare is currently free of it & I bought some equichaps to help her stay that way. I have to say I'm not too impressed with them - you have to do them up really tightly or else they work their way down the leg - one of them actually came half way off her foreleg when we were cantering - not good. I suspect they may come up on the large side so bear that in mind if you do buy any. Also they are not very sturdy: the one which came off partly has a large tear in it where her shoe went through it and if the material comes into contact with the road (at the bottom of the back of the heel) then it wears away very quickly. Washing them is OK, drying them is another matter - neoprene holds a lot of water!
I think they're a great idea in principle, as I'm very worried about the dreaded MF returning, but they are not an easy solution.
Sorry to disappoint!

Nat.

newrider.com