Mud fever:(

2 weeks is really not long enough to see results - but as you said there was a deeper infection by the looks of it so you would have needed antibiotics as well.

It can be applied too much - but i did in my first month apply it once a week - voltan was really bad ( i would never do once a day), then reduced to two weeks and so on until i apply every 6 weeks.
My vet would never have known what it was but he was amazed with the results.
Only case i have seen not work was for Odin - he had photosentivity (only his white sock). Cleared this up first and he has pig oil and sulphur since with no ill effects

So while he has no swelling ect is it worth giving it a few weeks untill i get new vet out??

So while he has no swelling ect is it worth giving it a few weeks untill i get new vet out??

Totally your decision

If it were me i would do both - apply PO&S and have new vet out to let them see explain what i was using etc - get their thoughts and knowledge on it can do no harm :)

i would carry on with the pig oil. I havent used it but not heard any bad results. I must say i always find that keratex powder works (i guess the same way as the athletes foot stuff?)

Heres a link to a thread i made last winter - i love my dramatism in my last post, i do make myself smile:D http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1505078#post1505078

my other horse has a similar wound so think i will try this again but take pics of it this time! no idea how it worked - literally two days later i was left with baby soft skin??

is your horse on hard standing and on dry ground ?

i used pig oil and sulphur and i ended up with cellulitus :(

I have kept him in since it started, he has been walked out in hand on dry ground and worked in manage, thnk i will keep on with the pig oil untill the vet comes and see what they recomend.
Really hope he never ever gets this again its so awful:(

i used pig oil and sulphur and i ended up with cellulitus :(

Cellulitis I thought was an infection of the deep tissue?– for instance induced by a scratch – mud fever bacteria ? Not from pig oil and sulphur?

I have kept him in since it started, he has been walked out in hand on dry ground and worked in manage, thnk i will keep on with the pig oil untill the vet comes and see what they recomend.
Really hope he never ever gets this again its so awful:(

When vols legs were raw i have turn him out after the first week in mud ridden field with pig oil and sulphur on and to my amazement they healed.

If swelling etc isn't bad i personally think movement is good for them

Cellulitis I thought was an infection of the deep tissue?– for instance induced by a scratch – mud fever bacteria ? Not from pig oil and sulphur?

the PO & S insulated the infection if you like, because there was already a crack in the scabs/ skin, once i had put the PO & S over the top it sealed the bacteria in and the infection flared up awfull, never ever seen anything as awfull when they went bad and couldnt beleive how quickly the swelled. Vet told me to get the PO & S off instantly, just going by what happened to us. :eek:

TBH i thank i have become somewhat paranoid about this dreaded MF, it makes me panicy

Last edited:
When vols legs were raw i have turn him out after the first week in mud ridden field with pig oil and sulphur on and to my amazement they healed.

If swelling etc isn't bad i personally think movement is good for them

The swelling is gone almost just puffy now(think that is due to him being in) since he had the anti biotics he now has dry scabs, will arm myself with a camera later on when i go down and get some pics.
Have just spoken to the vets and they are coming out tomorrow so see what they say.

the PO & S insulated the infection if you like, because there was already a crack in the scabs/ skin, once i had put the PO & S over the top it sealed the bacteria in and the infection flared up awfull, never ever seen anything as awfull when they went bad and couldnt beleive how quickly the swelled. Vet told me to get the PO & S off instantly, just going by what happened to us. :eek:

TBH i thank i have become somewhat paranoid about this dreaded MF, it makes me panicy

No worries - just was wondering as vol was the same - raw and cracks but thankfully did not have the same results as yourself. Was just wondering if the infection was already in place you see :)

My daughters pony had MF last year. Luckily I spotted it in the very early stages and treated with udder cream. It cleared up really quickly. He had some swelling which went down within a couple of days. I kept him shut in the yard for a few days as he doesn't like being stabled and thought movement would be better for his recovery. I moved him to a new place a few days later as it was just too wet where he was. I am now using the pig oil and sulphur as a preventative measure. But would definately use udder cream again if MF returned.

Our companion mare had some mud fever not so long ago and treated it with sudocream and derma gel. Applied the sudocream for a few hours to soften the scabs then washed off with mild solution of fairy washing up liquid and warm water to rid all traces of cream and then rinsed with plain water and died with kitchen paper. Then applied the derma gel and left her turned out to keep moving. Now its cleared up am just sprayng with some baby oil to prevent it returning!

Have you tried feeding somethin g to improve skin condition? My old cob's mud fever got tons better after I started feeding him evening primrose oil. Mrs P's skin condition improved loads with added linseed, she was a scab monster when I bought her & although she still gets the odd scab she's loads better than she was. It's all very well slapping this & that on and I've done that 'til I'm blue in the face (I'm a fan of betadine btw!) but if the skin condition is good, it should form an effective barrier against infection getting a hold in the first place :)

Have you tried feeding somethin g to improve skin condition? My old cob's mud fever got tons better after I started feeding him evening primrose oil. Mrs P's skin condition improved loads with added linseed, she was a scab monster when I bought her & although she still gets the odd scab she's loads better than she was. It's all very well slapping this & that on and I've done that 'til I'm blue in the face (I'm a fan of betadine btw!) but if the skin condition is good, it should form an effective barrier against infection getting a hold in the first place :)

What could i feed to prevent or help with the mud fever, would that be evening primrose???

Evening primrose oil is great but expensive, like I say linseed works well for P. I give her Simple System instant linseed but you can get linseed oil from most feed shops/saddleries. I've heard people recommend NAF mud guard supplement & say it's brilliant but I tried it for my old cob & it didn't do anything! I'd give linseed a bash as a start point just cos it's fairly cheap & easy to get hold of. The other thing that can help is keeping washing to a minimum, but if you must wash, chuck some Oilatum bath lotion or similar in the water, make sure it's lukewarm & always pat the horse's coat & skin as dry as you can afterwards. If the skin gets chapped it lets the bugs in, by keeping it moisturised and not letting it get wet & cold you can help prevent chapping - just like with people :)

It was really odd with him because i never hose his legs always lts dry and brush off mud, and he had none and then the next morning it had all come up:eek:
will give the linseed a go, and also have the new vet out tomorrow. Fingers crossed something will clear it up

Sounds like he must have very sensitive skin :( Poor sausage! My old cob was the same. Do you use a really soft brush when you take the mud off? Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs :rolleyes:

Mine had such bad 'mudfever' that I got the vet to look at it when he did vaccs. White legs are obviously more prone but not just white ones. I spoke to a farrier and he said it might be 'greasy leg'. His thinking is that there's no point in adding grease to grease so I stopped the pig oil and sulphur which didn't have any effect over several weeks and in fact prevent sth escabs from healing as it forms a barrier (i.e. great for prevention but not cure). I was advised to almost debride the affected patches (used a plastic washing up scrubber and went crazy!) and to get my nails in and make it bleed so the patches would be clean. I then applied rainscald powder with a damp cotton bud and in 3 days, the scabs all came off. Now it's healing (a week later all the red patches and swelling had gone) and it's just a bit scarred, no mudfever or whatever it was. I was amazed at this as I'd been nursing it for weeks and had no improvement. I hear Keratex is great as a barrier once it's gone and if you have any handy relatives with pets outside of the EU, Dermobian is also fab-prescription only. Also had rave reviews about Mudguard feed supplement.

newrider.com