Mud Fever

racing_barrels

neverminditsjustme
Nov 18, 2018
Does anyone have any recommended treatments for mud fever? one of my horses has had it for almost a month, and won't let you pick-up her leg. if you're lucky she'll let you hold it long enough to clean her hoof but then start prancing, which has never been a problem and is still good with her other feet. So far I have been using zink ointment and tee tree oil, and every now and then betadine scrub. but still not seeing much improvement.

Are you are using neat tea tree? that is likely making that very sore, essential oils should be diluted 20 drops to 1l of carrier and tea tree especially is very strong.
I had huge success last year with Shapely's MTG plus, my QH had a really stubborn patch, I had the vet out and all sorts but the MTG cleared it in a couple of weeks and it hasn't reappeared.

Chloe was very sore with mf when we first got her and we struggled at one point to pick her back legs out. She'd shake us off. Quite violently. Tried loads of different things - including the vet coming and sedating and getting her feathers off. I think he gave us Flamazine that time to clear up the sore bits. It worked for a while. Aromaheel was okay too - but it was difficult to apply because she didn't like being touched. I have found pig oil alone sprayed on helps a lot and will soften scabs enough to pull gently off but mostly we let them heal and (touch wood) she's not been bad for a long time and we keep on top by regularly spritzing with the oil. Just wanted to add: we bathed them in mild solution of hibi first in warm water and let them dry naturally - if you don't have feathers at all of course it's easier to pat dry.

I have had good results using Sudocrem - I guess any cream designed for nappy rash would work too.

Sudocrem is an over-the-counter medicated cream aimed primarily at the treatment of nappy rash. It contains a water-repellent base; protective and emollient agents; antibacterial and antifungal agents; and a weak anesthetic

newrider.com