Mud fever

GAJ2002

Mar 29, 2020
Hi everyone, just a quick question regarding mud fever- my horse has it on one leg (below the fetlock) it is quite roar and his leg is slightly swollen. Am I able to turn him out? Ive had mixed opinions. He will ofc be going in a dry field (no mud)? Or is it best to leave in? The swelling hasn’t bought any heat so I presume currently I don’t need to call the vet? Any of u best treatment methods would be appreciated!!

Last edited:
I find that Barriere Hygene hoof to heal is good to heal it and calm it down and it acts as a barrier so would be ok to turn out on a dry field with it on

I would turn out if the field is dry. That way the air will circulate the leg better. Stables especially if they are a messy horse can be full off bacteria.

I'd also turn out if the field is dry, standing in will probably make the swelling worse and may even cause the skin to split more.

There are loads of different products on the market and I find what works for one may not work so well for another. At the moment it may be more a case of what you can get.

newrider.com