mud scabs-no mud-cant get piggy oil

greeneyes13

greeneyes
Jun 7, 2005
Ireland but currently Perth, WA
pretty sure its photosensitivity of some kind that has scabby hard small lumps forming on his legs. nothing on black front legs... scabs on back legs (white socks- small scabs on the roundy ankle bone)
Piggy oil man that was recommended doesnt appear to want to ship to Rep of Ireland-Ive tried him.
Getting worried now, was trying tea tree oil cream not had any success.

Any suggestions?

Oh and gratuitious pic to thank those who read the thread!:)

P1020716.jpg

P1020657.jpg

I've only recently found out that I can get pig oil from some of my local feed suppliers (non horse ones!) - do you have a local farmer that perhaps you could contact to find out where they get feed supplies etc

I'm sure someone said to me that pig oil is just liquid paraffin :confused:- maybe easier to obtain using that name?

If its just occuring on the white parts of his lower limbs then it sounds like Leucoctoclastic vasculitis - it is what appears to be mud fever but stems from immune system problems and needs different treatment to mud fever (no amount of creams, lotions will work, high doses of steroids have to be adminstered)...

Therefore, I'd get the vet out who can give a more accurate diagonosis to what the problem really is. :)

I'm sure someone said to me that pig oil is just liquid paraffin :confused:- maybe easier to obtain using that name?

Yeah I think they are the same, in which case a pop to the chemist will sort you out :) Or use other barrier methods such as castor oil and zinc, glycerol, vaseline...

If you have no mud then it may be some kind of pollen allergy. My friends mare gets in whenever we have a spurt in grass growth or move into a field with long grass.

mixed and confusing advice all round then!:rolleyes:

cant really call the vet out just for this and i would be loathe to put him on steroids anyway without consulting his owner.

he was lame last night as well with a swollen warm fetlock and no sign of obvious injury. im not sure about this owning malarky especially thoroughbreds......

Pig Oil isnt the stuff that helps the sore legs. Its the sulphur. So long as you can get sulphur and find something oily that can be mixed with it then slap it onto the legs you will be fine.

The pig oil is just a medium in which to keep it on the legs and provide a barrier too. Baby oil will do the same job. But be careful to check for sunburn on warm days. That is the only thing that worries me about applying the pig oil. But I keep an eye on things. :)

i used i think its called muddy marvel de scab yesterday you massage it into the ares for about 5 minutes and the scabs just wash off.

newrider.com