Mummy again

My guess its a poopy puppy, but kinda hoping for a kitty cat. ;-)
Sorry to disappoint but neither.

But we got more than I thought we were going for.
First calving date is tomorrow. So there both early. But they can pop out a week early with no problems.
It was blowing a gale and started to rain.
So not my best pics.
We caught both babies and made them offical, putting the tags in. Tomorrow they'll be bombing it round the field so no chance of catching them. Two down, another 12 to go.

IMG_20180923_151956285_HDR-768x1024.jpg IMG_20180923_152024448-768x1024.jpg IMG_20180923_155413387_HDR-768x1024.jpg IMG_20180923_155359226_HDR-768x1024.jpg

Moo Moos. Funnily enough my lass likes to stop and look at all the sheep and all cows. :D
Actually she views hacking as going for a mooch I think.

Last edited:
Aw lovely calfs, glad you have two safe and sound so far.

I have a video of Raf exchanging nose breaths with a cow - it was the cow who instigated it, she was very curious. Love cows, I’d like to know them better :)

Reactions: Trewsers
No more today. Just been up the hill for a hack and checked them. The one baby was having a lovely charge round the field.
Yep all Dexters. They will probably all be black calves again this year. The bull apparently has very strong black genes.
We hired him the year before and all his calves last year were black.
I like a few red calves as they all come out different shades of red.
Hopefully next year's will be red as we are hoping to hire a red bull at the end of this year.

Reactions: Jessey
Its all go one more baby yesterday, we went a caught it this morning and put its tags in.
Then this evening I went for a quick hack and made a detour just to check cows from horseback. Counting heads, oh no one missing. So had to ride along the side of the field a bit further, then spotted a red cow on her own. So deposited Billy in the field opposite and walked over the cow field to be greated by one very protective momma. Her head was ready to charge me. So I kept my distance. Got close enough as the calf stood still to put my hand between its back legs to check it's gender and then backed off. I shall be there in the morning to tag it. Me thinks one very large bucket of food in front of mum might be required to keep her occupied or we will be floored. I seem to recall her being aggressive last year.

Reactions: Jessey
The chap I borrowed from always wants black ones as he shows them, but he got yet another red one from April (the red cow I borrowed) this year, its a shame as it means they end up in the freezer, as do all his boys.

I think it's 3 girls and a boy so far. Another 10 to go.

I like having the reds as you can tell them apart easier. Some have black flecks in there faces or there coats are different shades so it's easier to tell them apart. Black is just black. I'm still waiting on my elusive dun colour. There a bit more rare. There are some in my cows genes so hopefully one day I will get one or two throw backs.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
newrider.com