My action polo pics from 2009

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Have found and uploaded my 2009 attempts to photo polo matches - This links to the question about taking action shots. But am out of my depth in how to show the pics here. Photbucket keeps losing my captions. I took this to show Lila Pearson with fair hair flying, leading the Cowdray Vikings.

20090709026_zpsc13c74f9.jpg
[/URL]14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Skib39/Polo/20090709026_zpsc13c74f9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This is Dubai team - l to r Valent, Cambiaqo and Laprida 2009.
20090701002_zpsa6f769a7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dubai v. El Remanso, close to boards our side
20090701042_zps9815b904.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Another three pics.
Laprida for Dubai 2009. It is hard to catch moving figures that are closer to you.
20090701043_zpse2ea8361.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Valent in the same match. River Ground. The riders in striped shirts are the umpires.
20090701044_zpsa03ab1d6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cambiaso Adolfo Cambiaso - 2009. said to be the worlds best player. Horse almost off the ground. I think I may have been trying to photo rising canter.

20090705009_zpsff0297f9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The next three pics

Cambiaso in action 2009
20090705015_zps5f495c88.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cambiaso pursued by the Broncos
20090705019_zps3a9d3516.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rising canter
20090705030_zps332a8a1b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cambiaso strikes the ball
20090705031_zps3768751f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I am not sure why I wrote my efforts with my new digital camera off as a failure. I think we got so many pics of men playing polo that we didnt know what to do with them. Plus my mind was more on the camera and less on the playing and the polo. Like we may have watched Dubai play 10 matches and only go one shot of Cambiaso actually hitting the ball. I preferred in subsequent years just to watch the horses.

I would of course love to learn from what others may do -

Thanks for sharing those photos, it looks like a fun day. I watched polo once and they are a bit like grease lightening.

What camera was this again, the pixels interest me currently. I am at that most likely need to do something as my moving photos are not up to standard.
I loved my Pentax all manual chase the lens etc, but that's just not worth the pennies now. I don't do photography for shows anymore so I just need a toy.
Though mostly I cannot take a photo and be in it, my friends are camera phobes.

Looking at the tack I see they have a wider base on the stirrups. I wonder if that's standard of because they are playing polo. I do find our British stirrups significantly slim on that front until I changed to endurance.

Eta this is a jumping pic from my pre digital days. It is sharper than it shows as I have just taken a photo of it with a digital. I did enjoy photography more I think back before I changed.

http://db.tt/yyjqgGAH

Last edited:
What great pictures! I would love to go to polo some time, I know nothing about it but it looks fantastic fun for pony and rider.

I don't envy you trying to photograph it though!

Looks like an action packed match. Not sure about playing polo myself - I would be too worried that i would hit another horse whilst attempted to get the ball!

Great action shots !

I dont know much about polo! what are the large bits called they use and why are they use rather then standard sized ones?

Same for the reins, seems to be 2 sets all looks very complicated! Any polo buffs explain the tack for me ? :nerd::biggrin:

Looks pretty fast paced and fun! Ditto MP I would afraid of clonking a horse with the bat/stick thingy!!

The pictures were taken with our then new Nikon D80. Some with an expenisve Nikon lense 35-200. and some with a cheaper Tamron 300 zoom which I had bought on special offer with the camera body. Thanks to NR we have now found masses of polo pics from 2009, but must confess we have watched polo every summer since 2003 - with some intensity.
Our database list of players with their teams now has more than 200 names.
I cant answer questions about the tack. I myself posted asking about this years ago and Nina who played polo answered as did eml. But I will put my stirrup iron pics on a thread elsewhere inthe proper section.

Great action shots !

I dont know much about polo! what are the large bits called they use and why are they use rather then standard sized ones?

Same for the reins, seems to be 2 sets all looks very complicated! Any polo buffs explain the tack for me ? :nerd::biggrin:

Looks pretty fast paced and fun! Ditto MP I would afraid of clonking a horse with the bat/stick thingy!!

I think a gag is about standard for polo. we used to make some torture devices for polo players. Draw reins that were short enough to lie across the withers when not in use, then they were to be grasped and hauled for emergency brakes! I admire the skill and bravery of both horse and rider, But it's not a sport I could watch. Far too coarse.:ninja:

I agree Wally, I went to watch a Polo match once but it was too much for me.

I believe the wider base stirrups are to stop the rider losing a stirrup during maneuvers?

I have been told my girls dam was imported from Argentina by a polo club, but she was too heavy so was sold on, my girl would be fab for polo, got all the cattle herding moves from her parentage, and she's lighter set than her dam, but all the 'argy-bargy' and the tack of the game puts me off.

Last edited:
O the luxury of knowing about riding. I watched my first polo match back in summer of 2002, well before I found NR and had advice. If you are an elderly woman struggling to learn to ride and surrounded by little kids having lessons - you really need to see adults riding canter.
So that's what I did - I went to the nearby polo club.

I dont watch or bet on horse racing. I dont like the dangers of cross country. I dont like jumping, showing or the aspirations of competitive riders and breeders. Clocking up triumphs far from London. No walls of rosettes for anyone I ride with. That's just a NR thing.

I am a recreational rider and watching polo is our recreation too. My OH who was non horsey took to high goal polo, like other men take to watching premier league football. He says that polo is not as coarse as football and the crowds are better behaved.

newrider.com