my feet still need sorting out

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
so i'm still having trobule with my feet i just can;t seem to get them in the correct possitin once i mannged to get them sorted i mau be abble to go up a grade

Do they stick out a lot or you lose your stirrups?
Is the saddle hindering you?
Everyone has something a little imperfect.

I just can't keep my toes up with the rest of my leg in the right place also the sturuos keeps going father then the ball of my foot

Which suggests the stirrup placing might not be right or the length.
Not moving you up a level due to that is slightly unfair Imo. Though I haven't seen you ride. If it looks unsafe then I would suggest lunge lessons without stirrups.

I don't have enough weight in my stirrups now after xx years of riding and owning.

Reactions: carthorse
Well I think it's more me. Heals down is the thing I stuggle with most at the moment my stearing was better yesterday apartenly.

Given that you're still learning to steer in trot I'd say you'd be better to keep working in that pace for a while rather than rushing to canter. Better to do it when you're ready rather than push for it & have it go wrong. As Newforest suggested, some lunge lessons might help.

Out of interest what footwear are you riding in? That can make quite a difference. In my winter riding boots my heels go down less than in my summer ones - the winter ones have a thicker sole & are more solid around the ankle so don't allow the same flexibility.

If your foot is slipping through the stirrup then you do need to work on it because in a fall that can be dangerous. Maybe try putting less of your foot in? I know instructors nowadays say stirrup on the ball of the foot, but I ride with my toe in & always have done. It means you rely less on the stirrup, the foot comes free more easily if things go wrong & by happy coincidence also makes it easier for the heel to drop :)

he said my feet ar what needs to be working on next what i did last week was more of a grade 2 acticiity apartlly we dont useally do the properlly turning in trot just out keeping out on track. I usally ride in long ridding boots i borrow form the stables

Long boots can be fairly inflexible around the ankle, if you can get some short boots & chaps you might find that helps. If I'm honest it sounds like you've plenty to work on in trot first, and I don't think you can work on any one body part in isolation - it's all linked.

yeah well acording my instuctor my feet are the thing thats holding me back. and i was much better then last wekk yesterday

Agree with @carthorse regarding all aspects of position being linked. My feet were the best they've been in my last lesson and this was a direct result of sitting really well on the seatbones so that the thigh was lengthened...I wasn't even thinking about my feet!

I noticed a huge difference with my short boots to long.
I like the secure feel of the long for jumping, but they are equileather so probably not the most flexible.

well apparently yesterday my feet/leg postien was beter but still needs working on a bit(so maybe the short boots do help or i'm improving but probeely the short boots helped a bit) it wants stoping me being in grade 2(the next grade up) at the momentthough apartelly)

newrider.com