My first Rising trot:)

iluvhorses28

Jul 29, 2005
California
Today i did my first rising trot. :D I thought it was going to be hard but it wasn't. My instructor said i did good. I don't understand why you trots are different. the horse i was riding trots very fast.

Ha ha count yourself lucky, the first horse I ever trotted on and the one I got rising trot on were both EXTREMELY slow (one was old and one was just plain lazy :rolleyes: ). It was VERY hard work!! Congratulations anyway ;) , you must feel really good :D :D :D

I don't really ride much, but I went on a trekking holiday and had one lesson beforehand. At the lesson (a group lesson with other people from the trip) they obviously just went "oh, she's a beginner, we'll put her on a big, slow horse". So as it happened once I got him to trot for ("keep kicking him, keep kicking him" :eek: ) every time i tried to rise, he'd go back to walk!! Then on the trip I had a lovely horse who i managed to get rising trot on, he was just VERY old and slow! :rolleyes: What kind of riding do you do??
Anna

Yay! I'm having the hardest time with rising trot myself. My instructor will tell me to trot to a certain point and I spend half that lenght trying to actually find a rhythm instead of just bouncing and then I always pull back when I'm trying to post and sit up straight AND keep my legs in the correct spot. Needless to say the horses are a little confused.

Well done you - I can remember the first time I tried it - it seemed like THE hardest thing ever, but now its clicked its great. :D

XwonderX, ask your instructor if you can have a loose neck strap and use it to help you get up off the saddle.

This is the way I teach rising trot.
In walk I get the rider to hold the neck strap and stand up by swinging their hips in an arc forward and up. Then I get them to balance there, it is only possible if you have your legs in the right place and your hips forward. Then once you have your balance sit down gently.

Once you can do this then you do the same thing in trot. Don't worry about the rythym just yet, get yourself up and then sit down then back up and then sit down, gradually you will feel the horse wanting to push you up.

Getting the rythym is hard for many people to get so don't get disheartened.

You can practise at home too, get a chair such as a dining chair and sit on it. Place your feet either side of the chair with your heels,hips and shoulders in line. Then lean slightly forward and stand up. Note that you don't push up of your feet but open the angle of your knees. Make sure that when you sit down you sit as if you were on eggs, so sit ever so gently.

To increase the use of this exercise, find a table that is the right height that if you hold your hands in riding position with your little fingers on the surface you have them in front of you as if you were on the horse. Now practise moving up and down keeping the fingers still and without leaning on them. You will notice that your elbows must open as you rise up and close when you sit down. This is what you need to do to keep your hands still when doing rising trot.

Remember that once you are on the horse you need to lean slightly forward and swing your hips forward and up, not just up. You have to take into account the fact that the horse is moving forwards.

Hope I haven't confused you.
I've included a photo to show you how much you need to lean forward.
ecd85025.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how old the horse was but apparently too old to do a whole days trekking... Although quite early in the ride he decided that he was going to come out of the line and trot down to overtake about 10 horses :eek: it was only my second time EVER on a horse so I wasn't really in control..quite scary though.
XwonderX - This is probavly no help at all, but I found that rising trot was just one of those things that just suddenly came, I'm sure you'll find it soon.
Anna

No I don't really have time to - I play piano and violin and really don't have time!!! I might do some hacks in the new forest if i find a place - it's quite close and I love the forest...went up at the weekend and there were all the foals *cute!!!* It wasn't really that scary cos as i said I hadn't been riding that long at all and it kinda passed me by a bit how dangerous it could have been - me not at all in control of the horse :rolleyes:

newrider.com