my hansom lad is no longer amongst us

i am starting to accept he has gone now:eek:, im just going to miss that special boy so much :( on a slighlty brighter note one of my very dear friends has offered me her 3yr old andalusian mare to loan for a few months, then i will have a horsie to look after and do abit of ground work with to take my mind off of my boy, i know its soon but it has really lifted my spirits, she will never replace Jasper, but i think with out a horsey around i will just sink into an even deeper depression.
I think that sounds lovely, and so nice of your friend. Whilst no horse will never replace Jasper, and could never replace him, having something to just play with and be around will be nice. Grief is a very personal thing; I know that I prefer to throw myself into something else rather than sit around thinking about who I've lost. Just be careful you don't bottle anything up, though from the sounds of it you've got a multitude of wonderful friends who will listen to you at any time.

Angelfben, I don't even believe in God and that poem still had me in tears! Beautiful sentiments.

Me niether, and I'm crying like a good'un :eek: Hope my flatmates don't appear at some point!

I'm not a religious person either, but I do like to believe that the animals we take into our care are lent to us for the time we need them and then they move on. It may seem like the end of their time here with us is the end of them, but I don't believe it is.. I think they find us because we need them, or they need us, or sometimes you just need each other.. and eventually when you are both content and they know you are strong enough to cope without them, they know it's ok to leave us.

Your comment about why would he want to leave you brought a tear to my eye Chicky.. he didn't want to leave you, but he did have somewhere else to be and although he will be waiting for you he'll be content where he is and he will want you to be content now too and not hurting for him.

He had a lovely time with you and he fell asleep for the last time feeling warm, well fed and very loved. I think you did your job xxxx

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if there are no animals in the afterlife , (if there is one) I ain't going....I'm off to give old Nick a hard time!

To live a life like he had without a day's suffering is a rare thing. Even in his passing it sounds like he knew no fear.

"I will lend to you for a while, a horse, God said,
For you to love him while he lives and mourn for him when he's dead.
Maybe for ten or twenty years, or maybe two or three
But will you, 'til I call him back, take care of him for me.
He'll bring his charms to gladden you and (should his stay be brief)
you'll always have his memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay, since all from earth return
But there are lessons taught below, I want this horse to learn.

I've looked the whole world over in search of teachers true
And from the folk that crowd life's land I have chosen you.
Now will you give him all your love nor think the labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to take my horse back again.

I fancied that I heard them say "Dear Lord Thy Will be Done,"
For all the joys this horse will bring, the risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shelter him with tenderness, we'll love him while we may
And for the happiness we've known forever grateful stay

But should you call him back much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand.
If, by our love, we've managed, your wishes to achieve
In memory of him we loved, to help us while we grieve.

When our faithful friend departs this world of strife,
We'll have another horse and love him all his life

Anon"

Stay strong hunny, my thoughts are with you xxxx

What a beautiful poem.

Kindest thoughts to you at this very sad time.

I'm not a religious person either, but I do like to believe that the animals we take into our care are lent to us for the time we need them and then they move on. It may seem like the end of their time here with us is the end of them, but I don't believe it is.. I think they find us because we need them, or they need us, or sometimes you just need each other.. and eventually when you are both content and they know you are strong enough to cope without them, they know it's ok to leave us.

Your comment about why would he want to leave you brought a tear to my eye Chicky.. he didn't want to leave you, but he did have somewhere else to be and although he will be waiting for you he'll be content where he is and he will want you to be content now too and not hurting for him.

He had a lovely time with you and he fell asleep for the last time feeling warm, well fed and very loved. I think you did your job xxxx

Never a truer word spoken. Or written. Same goes for this...

To live a life like he had without a day's suffering is a rare thing. Even in his passing it sounds like he knew no fear.

You should be patting yourself on the back chickyd, nobody could have loved him more. He left the planet a handsome and happy chap.

Z x

Wow! Beautiful chioce of words and beautifully written! I have tears streaming down my face! Thinking of Pascal :( rip girlie. It's nice 2 imagine her and Jasper cantering around together with all the other free spirits :D x

i am starting to accept he has gone now:eek:, im just going to miss that special boy so much :( on a slighlty brighter note one of my very dear friends has offered me her 3yr old andalusian mare to loan for a few months, then i will have a horsie to look after and do abit of ground work with to take my mind off of my boy, i know its soon but it has really lifted my spirits, she will never replace Jasper, but i think with out a horsey around i will just sink into an even deeper depression.

It doesnt matter how soon, it helps! I posted a few days ago to say that I was in pieces as it was a year since my daughters beloved Crystal was pts, that was Friday. The good folk on NR picked me up and told me it was ok to be crying a year on. However, 5 days later ie today, it is exactly a year sice we tried Rascal (yep fireworks going off etc etc and he did not batter), it will be a year on Sat since we had him vetted and a year on MOnday since he arrived! We were quick!!!!

You can never replace Jasper but the way I looked at it was that they loved us and would want us to be happy and would want us to give another of their equine pals a nice life too just like they had and for us, despite having my cob and the shetland, Crystal left a massive hole in our lives and Rascal filled it and in a way helped heal the situation a little. Not a day goes by when we dont think of our darling Crystal but Rascal has so much love to give that we are ok now. He is well used to me crying into his mane when I reach for a rug that still has grey crystal hairs on or at a show when people ask us where our grey is and he just stands there and accepts that he will never be Crystal but is Rascal and is equally special, just different, make sense?

newrider.com