my horse has no respect for fences!!!!!

burness_21

Mar 12, 2006
Devon
hi im new on here.

my youngster seems to have no respect for fences. Back in october he decided to try to go under a post and rail fence and cut his foreleg very badly(was on three months box rest). Anyway we gently reintroduced him to the field and for a few weeks he was fine. oneday however de decided that the didnt care about electric fence and just ploughed straight through it.

yesterday things came to a head when he tried to jump the gate to the outdoor school and crshed through it, he has skinned himself thankfully its not too serious and although very sore this morning he isnt lame. but it hs just cost me £50 to replace the gate and im at a loose end as to how to get him to respect fences and gate without killing himself.

any ideas?

Hopefully it is just a phase he will grow out of.Does he have another youngster for company to play with as that may be one reason he is getting himself injured. Short of one of those dog collars you can get to stop a dog roaming I really don't know what to suggest.

ok...

get him on the lung or free school. place a pole on the ground make him jump it. then raise it higher and higher. if he knocks it down put it a step lower.

If he barges/breaks anything get hold of him and make him stand there.hold him wait for a couple of minutes then go back and do what ypu were doing BUT keep a close eye on him.

Last edited:
hi thanks for the advice. the problem is ive never lunged him as he is only just 2yrs old i have joined up with him though do you think this will help.

newrider.com