My horse has started doing something very strange...

angelfben

Jul 12, 2004
Cheshire
Visit site
.. always in walk, he will suddenly out of nowhere just leap in the air :confused:

I don't know to describe it but it's like he leaps off all fours and arches his back then bucks and twists then carries on walking along as normal?

He doesn't do it every time we ride and only in walk even when we're having a rest on a long rein sometimes. He doesn't get agitated or anything he'll just be wandering along then *ping* and carry on wandering along.

I'm baffled :confused:

He is looked at regularly by a physio and annually by a chiropractor, has just had his saddle fitted a couple of weeks ago, has his teeth done regularly etc.

I got Captain a new saddle company saddle and the first time I rode out in him he also ping in his back and danced around. It was like he realised he didnt have to tense his back up to get away from the pain of the old saddle....:eek:

Its just with you saying its in walk with long reins. Maybe there is some tension that has now become free and your pony is benefitting from it..???? Is it at the end of the ride or at the start????

It can be at any point during the ride, but always in walk - he's done it a few times working in an outline and a couple of times on a long rein as well I just found it bizarre that he does it in walk, if anything you'd expect high spirits in trot or canter? :confused:

I am no expert but it sounds a little like there is expected tension there still. Like he is bracing himself when the saddle is put on and then as he gets warmed up and trots and canters around he is still tense. And for some reason in walk when you are BOTH relaxed his back relaxes too????:confused:

Have you long lined him lately??? See if he still does it???:confused:

If it was possibly flies it could explain why he doesnt do it in trot or canter. Some scientific study showed that flies didnt like travelling faster than/being in a wind stream faster than a certain amount. - Maybe 8ish mph. But that would generally mean that an active trot and canter would leave the flies behind.

I dont know thought. Just a theory as I've not heard of this before. Hope you find out the reason. :)

I'm thinking it may be the flies to be honest, it's so sudden and random when he does it! :confused:

I will try coating him in fly spray before our next ride and see if he does it ;) :)

Yeah that's why I think it's insects as you can generally leave them behind in trot/canter but in walk they can get you/your horse. They are bloomin' annoying :mad:

A horse i used to ride did a simiar thing to this and we realised it was when he went past rape seed and seemed to have a allergy, kinda bunched him self up and lept in the air, all stopped with a net on his nose though!

newrider.com