My horse is sound???? SO confused now!

CurlyWurlyRach

Curly Wurly 1997 - 2009
Apr 11, 2006
Yorkshire! land of the sheepies!
Ooooookay.

Curly hasn't been right for 3 weeks or so now and was on bute for the last 10 days which made her better - suspected hock spavin, shes booked in for x-rays on Tuesday.

She hasn't had a bute for 2 days now and has been happier and more forward than she has been in weeks :confused: :confused: :confused:

I took her for a long grown up girls hack today with 2 mates. We were out in a brisk walk for an hour (cant remember the last time I hacked that far!!!) and she was FINE when i trotted and cantered her in the school after. Her canter has been her worst pace recently and today she was totally her old self. Ears pricked, dashing about and generally looking thrilled to be alive.

Why is she better?! Shes better than she was on the bute by a long shot! Im so confused! Im struggling to afford the insurance excess and im doing unpaid work experience and havn't got my student loan yet. parents are out of the country so they cant lend me it short term. I can just afford them buttttt shes been fine for the last two days? Im almost certain that taking her to the vets is the best thing to do but why has she decided to be fine again?

Is that normal with arthritus?

Confuzzled.

:(

Has there been a change in the weather or ground conditions which could be contributing?

If she is anything like Olivia (who is currently on starvation paddock!) she will pretend that her legs are falling off just to fill her stomach! Nelson also gets a little bit depressed if he isn't coming out the field and doing something every day... who ever said 'there's nowt as funny as folk' obviously never owned horses :p

It has been warmer i suppose. If she was still not right id be totally 100% behind my decision to book her in to the vets but now shes happy as a sandboy.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to spend the money but now im thinking, if its not a spavin, if its just stiffness and i claim on the insurance for the x-rays and stuff. the leg will be excluded and if there is a real problem later on im going to be hit with a vets bill.

Surely you could cancel the vets, see how it goes? If she stays sound you've saved yourself the money, if she's really damaged it surely she'll go lame again in the next week or so and then you can be 100% she needs to go :confused:

I need to go back to uni in the next 2 weeks and the vet ithere s almost £100, just for the call out as the only equine vet is miles away.

Surely if you are going to have to pay the excess on the insurance anyway then it doesnt make much difference how much it costs? either you have x number of vet visits up to the cost, or one visit takes up your whole excess and then you can have as many as you like?

I'd say if she is fine then cancel the vet- 2 weeks is ages in reality, so if she is going to slip back again she likely will.

newrider.com