My horse is strange - is yours?

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
Harvey has a number of quirks but this is the one that really amuses me - he won't come out of the horsebox until he has had a good check where he is. He even does this when returning home. And then if there is grass at the bottom of the ramp......

IMG_1665-X2.jpg

IMG_1666-X2.jpg

IMG_1667-X2.jpg

Jess has to put 2 feet on the ramp (loading) and pause to asses it, if you try rushing her she can get really horrible to load, but if you give her 10-20 seconds she’ll load on anything ? she walks right off though. Bo used to jump off, top of the ramp to the floor, you just had to stand back ? he did get better as he got older.

Oh Lord I love Harvey. He is such a hunk.

I remember seeing a lovely video many years ago of a super-famous eventer loading himself to go home after a competition. He JUMPED the ramp and landed square in the box!

Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
When Raf was young he went through a difficult loading phase - he would do the trick of swinging out to the side instead of walking up the ramp. To start with we encouraged him out of it by attaching a lunge line on each side of the ramp and a person holding each one up. Of course I couldn't manage that on my own so I just laid the two lines on the ground. It worked just as well and for a long time that's how I loaded him. I'd prepare by laying my lunge lines down on each side of the ramp to mark out a 'corridor' on the floor and then walk him between them and up the ramp. He never tried to step over them, I don't know if that makes him clever or very stupid ? ?

Ramsey was shocking loading. No running out or backing up. He would get to the ramp, gaze fixedly to the left or right, and say "Trailer? What trailer? I don't see any trailer."

He looks such a good steady boy. Much like I'm going to look for next time!
Now we've got past the barging, bucking and mini rears, yes - he is quite a steady little Eddie! I'm very pleased with what a sweet fun boy hes turned into. Wouldn't swap him for the world.

• Love
Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com