My horse won't lunge :(

G

Guest 2

My very experienced friend tried to lunge Sam the other day, and he was being a complete idiot. He has been lunged plenty of times before, but when she tried he would either pull back, turn to face you, plant his feet in the ground, kick out a little bit and just anything to get out of lunging.

He was fine to lunge about a month ago, and I just spend £20 today on lunging equipment. We down to lunge him and he just did the same as above.
He is not afraid and does not respect the lunge whip at all, I can't get him into a triangle shape, as he is being so awkward. And if I do for like one second he will go back to misbehaving

He does know what to do, and yes all his tack fits, back etc has been checked. He is just definitely trying to get out of it.

Please give me some ideas as in the week I don't have time to ride, and want to lunge him instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe try putting his lunging stuff on but also a lead rope and get someone to lead him around in a circle so he realises he has to lunge. then remove the read rope and just have the person walking by the side. once hes ok... remove the person by the side, but have them handy so they can jump in and walk him on again if he starts to misbehave.

maybe try putting his lunging stuff on but also a lead rope and get someone to lead him around in a circle so he realises he has to lunge. then remove the read rope and just have the person walking by the side. once hes ok... remove the person by the side, but have them handy so they can jump in and walk him on again if he starts to misbehave.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest too - make sure they have gloves and a hard hat on too tho:)

yyour freind might be expreinced but there an art to lunging if not done properly horse will come in or pull
describe how she did it

Are you sure you aren't blocking him with your body language or position? Some horses will be blocked by you being in front of the shoulder even if you're flapping the whip trying to get them forwards and they do tend to get rather cross about it..

My horse can be a cow to lunge so I know how your feeling!
What I found worked for us was to use two lunge lines, dont know if you have tried this? Basically one on each bit ring, then thread the outside lunge line through the roller (or a stirrup if your lunging in a saddle) and then back to you over the horses back. I found I had more control when I did that as my horses main problem was turning in and looking at me! Get an experienced person to help you though and maybe get someon to walk round with them first time as it gets tricky with two lunge lines and a lunge whip!

Echo pineapples advice.

However, if your horse was fine to lunge a month ago but is now misbehaving, it sounds like he is trying to tell you something. Either he is in pain, or he doesn't understand your signals, or he just doesn't want to work. Get everything physical checked to rule out pain (teeth, back etc). Try someone leading him round so that it's clear to him what he has to do. Try introducing lots of transitions and pole work to your lunging sessions, keep the circle big and the sessions 20 mins MAX so that he's not bored and keeps interested.

my pone does this at the very early stages of laminitis so please get him checked over by the vet!!!

if he is sound then try a second line on the outside running round his bum just above the hocks, then you can "guide" him back on to the outside track.

if sam is only 5 i would not be doing a lot of lungeing. It puts a massive strain on a horses joints so i'd be concerned about doing some damage. have you tried long reining? a much better alternative to lungeing!

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies, sorry I haven't posted for a few days I haven't been on! You have given me some good ideas.

I think the idea of a second line would help! Or to get someone to lead him aswell.
Or even longreining.

He is fine hacking out and schooling, so maybe he enjoys that more than lunging.

Might have a try again at the weekend, and I am also having a riding lesson soon. Which is £15 for half an hour :O (thought it would only have been about a £10) so will see if the riding instructor has any other ideas or see if she can lunge him.

Thanks for your help! :D xx

newrider.com