My horse won't stop galloping at Jumps!!!!

I have this 6yr old Chestnut mare which I have had for over 6 months, She was jumping great till about a month ago she started to bolt over small jumps. She is great over big but she hasn't the pest of techniques, so in order to sort her technique out I have to go over small fences but she will not go slow over them at all. She will come at trot over it and then at the last 4 strides she will fling her head in the air and gallop leaving me behind!:eek:

Please help! Got any suggestions.

My guess is that she gets overexcited at small jumps because they are fun and she can jump them easily and quickly. Take it very slow, maybe take it all the way back to trotting over polls on the ground 'cause you don't want this behavior to leak over to when you are doing larger jumps. do lots of half halts and if she tries to bolt towards a jumps, turn her away or flat out stop her so that she knows she can't jump it unless she is listening to you and going the right speed. Good Luck!

When Dolly would every so often rush to a jump, my RI would get me to stop infront of the jump, instead of jumping it. This would get her listening to me and I would no longer have any problems. I always worried, though, that this would teach her to stop at the jump, but I know my RI knows what she is doing with me and Dolly. This might be a bit difficult for you to achieve because to stop a horse at a gallop would be difficult. I think I have been throughly no help :rolleyes:

you've got the same problem as me exept my horse dosent gallop he just rushes at them as he hasent been jumped in a while, have a look in my thread under training of the horse in rushing at jumps there are some great tips;)

I'm copying the post I made to nessa, hope it will help!

The horse I ride is exactly like that. People stopped jumping him at my barn (he's a school horse) and basically only used him for dressage b/c he gets so fast. (He's a TB and both an ex-racehorse and an ex-foxhunter, so he has the speed thing implanted in his brain) I've spent a lot of time working with him, and we're now actually doing jumps w/out him landing fast and strong. Here're a couple of things we do:

-Don't give him a long line of sight. I'm assuming that you're jumping inside an arena - try setting up jumps on the short side or near the end of the arena so that they'll have to make a turn relatively soon after the jump. For some horses, seeing lots of space after the jump blows their mind.

-Don't give him a chance to anticipate. Switch it up; one time do the jump with a nice long approach, another cut across the ring so that the approach is different, another halt after the jump, another halt some strides before the jump and then trot it, switch directions every couple of jumps, etc. Try having several independent jumps set up so that you can do one than the a different one. If horses think that they know what they're about to do, then can get bored/independent and start getting fast. Often, if they can't anticipate they will listen to you much better

-also be very aware of the types of jumps that you do. Do things like bounces where they have to be aware of where their feet are, and so can't get super long and fast. Don't do lines with big distances (like 5,6,7 strides) in between the jumps, do in-and-outs and the such with slightly short distances so that the horse doesn't have the room to really stretch.

-you said that you tried slowing him with your posting; depending on both the rider and the horse, some people (like me) find it easier to slow them when doing a sitting trot up to the jump.

-Depends on the horse, but for some, like the guy I ride, cantering gets them worked up. We don't do an independent canter before jumping, just after/during jumps (I do plenty of canter work with him when not in jumping lessons and we give him a good warm-up at the trot, so this is ok)

-One thing my instructer has had me work on: instead of pulling on his mouth to slow him down before the jump, just hold steady pressure. Generally, we're taught to do half-halts and the like, but occosionally just holding steady pressure and not giving (obviously doing a small release over the jump and not keeping exceedingly hard steady pressure) works.

-be aware of your position, particularly your hands. Especially over small jumps, you don't have to do a huge release. Just make sure that you give a little, but you don't have to throw your hands at him. On the other extreme, make sure that you are giving them some release. Both giving them too large a release and pulling on their mouth over the jump often makes horses want to take off

-I don't know how honest your horse is, whether he's one that will refuse. The horse that I ride won't...so I can (as an excercise, obviously not all of the time) basically do a trot at an absolute snails pace and he'll go over, which helps

This is what I've been working on for a couple of months...sorry it's a lot, lol. Good luck!

Sounds confidence related. Most horses dont gallop towards things, they gallop away from them. So she might be trying to get it over and done with quickly. It makes me suspiscious that she's suddenly developed this.
Get her seen to tack/teeth wise. As she may have changed shape due to the work.
I'd put a running martingale on, as she'll do damage to herself if she's throwing her head about. So it's for her sake as much as yours.

Because of the change in personality, and I haven't seen your riding. I wouldn't like to give you advice on techniques to change this. Instead i'd suggest getting a reputable instructor to come and have a look.:)

newrider.com