My Mare won't eat her feed with Oestress in it :(

M

Mareish

Any tips on how to disguise it, I know there is a similar bute thread but it has such a peppery scent I wondered if any one thing in particular would do it ?

She only has Veteran chaff with apples and garlic

Or she could just be a fussy tart ;)

Have you tried the old Ribena trick? Or even treacle or molasses? As it's only a week you need to get the 3 scoops down her you could be quite drastic :D

Sweet flavoured yoghurt sometimes works as well or finely chopped carrots or apples mixed well in.

I wish I had boughtthe small tub, not the 'who wants to be a millionaire' size :rolleyes:

I think she'll be ok when down to one scoop but it's three a day for a week.

And yes...she DOES need it ;)

I would try some molasses, Jess is normally happy to eat it, but this spring when I started her on it again at the higher dose she wasn't keen, I slopped in some molasses, with their sweet sugary smell she tucked right in :D
Or perhaps try doubling up your garlic to cover the smell - or perhaps cutting it out, curry smelling Oestress and garlic might be a bit much maybe?

Thanks Jessey

Have tried more garlic and no garlic, still no joy

Will try mollasses next or maybe I should just do low dose from the off, surely some will be more beneficial than none :eek:

Orange juice, carrot juice, apple juice, chopped mint?

Saphy was not keen on garlic in her food, she would chuck it over the floor so I have to give her 1/2 scoop in each feed rather than 1 in the morning feed.

She wouldn't touch food with bute in so I gave it to her in a hollowed out apple (split in 2 halves), no probs. Would that work?

newrider.com