my new and exciting challenge (long)

Dizzy Woo

Apr 20, 2008
Dorset
After coming off Daisy quite badly nearly 3 weeks ago and not being able to ride for a few months, my friend Anna suggested I start doing some Parelli ground work and pointed me in the direction of a free offer they have at the moment for 1 month where the DVD's for level 1 are available on line.
I have never had any time to do anything like this before as always gravitate to riding her but had watched Anna a couple of weeks ago with Rosie and was well impressed.
Any how from being signed of because of the accident I find I now have the time and oportunity to have a go at this so I started doing it a few days ago.
Now a few days earlier when I had visited Daisy she obviously picked up my body language and the fact that I am weak atm and walked all over me, munching grass while I was trying to lead her and she just 'knew' I didnt have the strength to do anything about it.
I am a bit stronger each day but the lovely thing is that she is really responding to the pretty basic stuff I have started doing and she appears to really enjoy it, I am once again 'addicted' to her and cant wait to see her again - 10 days ago I didnt want to go anywhere near her.
Dont think I will ever get up to my friends level because I hope to be riding sometime in the summer but I feel really positive about this time with Daisy now, we are 'bonding' in a new and different way and what seemed like a long dark tunnel has now turned into a new and exiting journey.
I suppose this could go in confidence club or natural horsemanship but just wanted to share how every cloud does have a silver lining - this one does anyway :dance:

What a lovely positive thread! So glad you are feeling better about wanting to be with your horse. Do hope you continue to enjoy the Parelli stuff. Though I've never really looked into it, I can't help feeling that some of the "games" that I've heard mentioned would be good for OH and Joe to play together. (Joe is currently not able to be ridden and he goes lame on and off rather a lot). I think Joe would respond well to them - and I think its a great option if you can't ride for any length of time.
Hope you continue to heal btw.

Parelli is not such a big part of my life now after more than 4 years since I discovered it, but I still use many of the methods/games every day. Now that I can't ride Frayne very often, the groundwork is particularly important to give her some exercise and have fun together. For instance, I will go out on our farmyard or in one of the fields, wherever there are some 'obstacles' (tractors, trailers, feed troughs ....) and get her moving around them, which she loves. More interesting than just lunging and useful for de-spooking too.

Ali x

newrider.com