My new Friesian Mare :-)

Thanks everyone (except Applepie who mis spelt Sylvia and made her Saliva !!! :)
It is so lovely having you all to share it with especially as I'm keeping quiet about her to the people on my yard as a surprise. If I didn't have you to burble to about her I'd explode !!.
I got pictures of 3 horses and although they were all gorgeous, 15.2 and with long manes it really was love at first sight with Sylvie. I couldn't get her sweet face out of my mind and to have her sold and then come back to me was fate !
Even her name is perfect. It means 'from the forest' and woods, and forests are special places for me.
It has happened so fast that it feels a bit like a dream. Very weird.
I just finished one contract nr Stroud and driven home to knutsford where tomorrow I start the next job in Chester which is only 30 mins from the yard where she will come so I will get to see her lots :)
I'm also back on my own strange old computer which won't allow smilies so you will just have to imagine lots of the dancing happy ones all in a row :)
I promise there will be oodles of photos when she arrives :) xxxxx

She's lovely - I do like friesans. What is a baroque style though ? I've heard that term used a lot in describing them.

:bounce: I got so confused then I thought you meant I actually wrote Saliva, and I was staring and staring at it, then realised I had put Syliva... I must be slightly dyslexic!

there are 2 different types of friesians, and its just down to the build really. Baroque is the more traditional (now out of fashion with 'The' Friesian people), heavier/stockier type. then there is the sporty (known as Modern) type, which is lighter, and well, sportier. the friesian association is trying to keep up with the times, and a lot of people want friesians now a days for general riding - inc hacking, dressage etc, even SJ & XC. they are no longer being used for what they were used for yrs ago, so they are trying to breed them lighter to keep up with demand for the look, but that are more versatile than the really heavy horses of old. a lot of die-hard friesian fans arent keen on the modern friesian, and prefer the heavier ones. i think the mordern ones do have their place too though.

personally i like somewhere half way in between and i believe my xander is, and DFGs new girl is.

so thats all:

Baroque = heavy/stocky
Modern (sporty) = lighter framed/well, sportier!, more athletic.
thats my take on it anyways.

Thanks everyone (except Applepie who mis spelt Sylvia and made her Saliva !!! :)
It is so lovely having you all to share it with especially as I'm keeping quiet about her to the people on my yard as a surprise. If I didn't have you to burble to about her I'd explode !!.
I got pictures of 3 horses and although they were all gorgeous, 15.2 and with long manes it really was love at first sight with Sylvie. I couldn't get her sweet face out of my mind and to have her sold and then come back to me was fate !
Even her name is perfect. It means 'from the forest' and woods, and forests are special places for me.
It has happened so fast that it feels a bit like a dream. Very weird.
I just finished one contract nr Stroud and driven home to knutsford where tomorrow I start the next job in Chester which is only 30 mins from the yard where she will come so I will get to see her lots :)
I'm also back on my own strange old computer which won't allow smilies so you will just have to imagine lots of the dancing happy ones all in a row :)
I promise there will be oodles of photos when she arrives :) xxxxx

Oooohhhhh Chester is only 10mins from me. 30 mins from yard hmmmmmmm :ninja::ninja::ninja:

Oooohhhhh Chester is only 10mins from me. 30 mins from yard hmmmmmmm :ninja::ninja::ninja:

Darn & there I was thinking hmmmm only an hour away...you'll beat me to it :mstickle:
I don't think Saliva is too far from the truth-she's certainly got us all drooling :giggle:

I prefer the Baroque :wink:, but I guess owning a Shire x comes into play, as when ever I ride a Tb or Arab type, I feel as though I'm sat on a wall with nothing under me if anyone understands what I mean? Broader horses feel like arm chairs, that's more my cup of tea :smoke:

Darn & there I was thinking hmmmm only an hour away...you'll beat me to it :mstickle:
I don't think Saliva is too far from the truth-she's certainly got us all drooling :giggle:

:giggle::giggle: Am quite a lead foot lilly, so could prob make that in 15mins :biggrin: would obviously take longer going back sneaking through the lanes though with my new addition :ninja::ninja::ninja:

I thought id look through your previous posts and found all the details I was looking for, now she is beautifull!!!!!

Ive got a little smile plastered on my face for you!!! I have to say I know of someone who had a VERY bad experience with Friesians4all. A horse who was sold as a schoolmaster who is unridable and now is with a very experienced trainer who has found the horse a real challenge!!
Anyway enough of that, your girl looks wonderdul and obviously wont have any ridden problems as she is not yet backed ;)
Are you thinking to break her in yourself? Cant wait to follow your progress with her x

newrider.com