My Oz problems.

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
I’ve not mentioned all this, mainly due to the fact I’ve been slightly burying my head in the sand and hoping it go’s away.....
It may be long, sorry!

He’s an ex racer, always had a bit rubbishy feet. No shoes when I got him and he was turned away for about 6 months. Came in sore.
Shod in front, helped but not 100%. Still out of work at this point but stabled over night to get them in the dry.
Came sound and started light work in early summer. Was going ok, very slight on and off footiness so I got a vet who suggested pads. Did this and he became obviously lame on his off fore, only for a few days.
A few shoeings later he was mostly ok but would get the odd lame steps here and there.
Got the vet out. Of course he trotted up sound, including after flexion, we lunged aswell and she did see a few dodgy steps but he wasn’t lame enough to block. We decided to bute for two weeks, no different.
She thought that he needed to adjust to new shoeing technique and altered foot balance. Suggested trying to work through it almost, keep hacking lightly and see how he went. Hoping either to get better or worsen to a point we can successfully block him. She also said she was 99.9% sure it was just his awful feet but that my farrier was doing a great job at supporting his heels and taking the toe back, so on we went.
Then he had a bad abscess, this grumbled on for weeks. After one visit the farrier told me to call the vet back.
Vet came, no sign of the abscess by now! V hard to see how sound he was as the shoe was off and he’s crippled without a shoe.
So we did full xrays (like hundreds of them!!) on the “bad” foot (near fore) and balance xrays on the off fore.
Xrays were surprisingly good which was a relief. He has absolutely no sole and not much heel so she said is basically walking on his pedal bones.
Working alongside the vet and xrays my farrier has shod him using a wedged frog support pad with dental impression material underneath.
He’s still not right :(
I’ve only ridden him once and led him off Jake a few times. Fine in walk but lame in trot. I can’t decide which side which is driving me nuts as I’m pretty good at lameness!
I have someone coming today to trot him up for me so I can actually see him move properly and hopefully decide if it’s one or the other or both sides.
I’d really expected him to be sound if the issue were his awful soles once they were so well protected.
He’s no better or worse on stoney ground and it’s been trotting on the road I notice it. So hard flat surfaces.
I have spoken to the vet again and she suggested it’s, again getting used to another new way of shoeing. We plan to see how he gets on and reassess in another week with a view to trying blocking him and just seeing how that pans out.

The awkward bit and the bit that’s making me doubt myself is that I’m convinced his off fore is the issue yet everyone else who I’ve got to look (although the vet said bilateral) thinks near. I wonder if that’s because he’s never properly lame so hard to tell and that foot is obviously worse looking than the other.
My vets opinion seems slightly of his feet are so terrible he’s probably always going to be this way and that keeping him going and using a bit of bute as and when needed might be as good as it gets.

All in all is completely mashing my brain but I do need to crack on and find out what’s going on here.
Any one have any comments or suggestions?

Apologies if anyone got that far you too now have brain fog!!

Oh yay just to add to things I just got him in to trot up with a helper and he has removed both £125 10 day old shoes

Oh I feel for you.

Have you considered getting the vet to run bloods to check there are no metabolic problems? Thin soles aren't normal for any breed, but can be an indicator of metabolic problems and if that's his problem then once you can manage those his feet should improve. What's his diet like, that can also be a factor. To a degree the vet may have a point about working him as this can help EMS/IR and also movement may help thicken the sole too. If he's sore would working him on bute be a short term option?

Bilateral lameness can be like that, difficult to spot and judge which leg it's on, if you have the vet again and are at an impasse I'd block one leg (which ever you think is better) as you may find that then shows up lameness in the other leg more obviously so you can do diagnostic blocking on that one.

Some thin soled horses can dislike constant sole pressure from pour in pads etc. So it can become about protecting them but at the same time relieving them of pressure. Was there any specific area he was tender with hoof testers? How badly underrun are his heels? Generally thin soles that are a problem are worse on hard/stones (loose stones they seem to find comfortable) than on the hard/flat, but that 1 stone on the road is the one that will make Jess wince and leave her sore.

Reactions: carthorse
Thank you all for your replies. I’ll be honest I could really have just cried yesterday.
To reply to all,
Carthorse, no I haven’t/hadn’t thought of bloods. I did once years back have a younger TB who tested positive for cushings but he did have other symptoms looking back. I will run that past the vet also. Thanks for a new idea.
Feed wise, he gets a scoop of hifi lite, a scoop of high fibre nuts. In winter I’ll add linseed. He also has Joint and hoof supplements. Any improvements?

Jessey, his heels are pretty bad. No, no specific area. Yes, agree I’m definitely veering towards just blocking (anything and everything!)

Lauren, I would have laughed at that suggestion but am giving it serious consideration. It’s not a subject I know a huge amount about and know it would be a really long haul. I’ve joined a barefoot page on fb and just want to find out a bit more. I can’t ever imagine him being ok without shoes but have read some pretty amazing positive stories.

I couldn’t get hold of my farrier yesterday so text him, my usual reply would be “leave him in I’ll get to you at some point on Monday”
He just text back saying maybe just try hoof boots! Wondering if he’s bailing out on me? Tbh I don’t blame him if he is.
It may make it less awkward to try the barefoot route

Diet wise there shouldn't be anything there that's a problem, though my metabolic lad can't tolerate alfalfa, even a small amount brings his pulses up and makes him footy. High fibre nuts it is just worth a quick look at the label as ingredients and hence sugar and starch levels, do vary. Personally I've found I get better results with a good balancer than a specific hoof supplement, but that's just me. The other thing to consider is how good his grazing is, both in terms of quantity and quality, after all grass &/or hay/haylage forms the bulk of their diet so there's no point being fussy about a handful of chop or nuts if he's then going out on grazing more suited to cattle.

The vet does have a point about needing to get used to the change in shoeing style, plus if the pedal bone is already bruised that's going to take a while to settle down. However soles that thin really are a problem, mine is a laminitic and if we start to lose sole depth everything is reassessed in a hurry because as the vet and farrier both say sole depth is critical because it's all that stops everything crashing down.

Random thought..... So he's got crap feet but has he ever been nerve blocked to see that his lameness issue is definitely caused by his hooves and not something further up his leg?

My ex-racer had awful feet and intermittent lameness but it turned out to be from a previous pelvic fracture that had healed on the wonk. He was "unlevel" in trot but I think it was an affected movement rather than painful. Back then (8 yrs ago) turmeric was just starting to appear and adding that to his feed levelled him up again.

My grazing is pretty non existent at the moment and will be until spring now due to flooding. I was stressing about that but from a foot POV it seems best!
he has nice ad lib hay. It’s not rocket fuel as my ponies are fine on it, I’d soon know with Torro if it were overly amazing!
I do understand the different way of shoeing causing problems short term and would be happy to bute to compensate but currently can’t even keep the shoes on!
Are thin soles rectifiable?
I think the Hifi lite can be changed as that does have a light molasses coating.
I wonder if going back to normal shoes thus giving me access to his soles might be better than pads? I’ve had good results with keratex hoof hardener in the past or even just the ability to keep the sole/frog area cleaner and healthier.

Random thought..... So he's got crap feet but has he ever been nerve blocked to see that his lameness issue is definitely caused by his hooves and not something further up his leg?

My ex-racer had awful feet and intermittent lameness but it turned out to be from a previous pelvic fracture that had healed on the wonk. He was "unlevel" in trot but I think it was an affected movement rather than painful. Back then (8 yrs ago) turmeric was just starting to appear and adding that to his feed levelled him up again.
No, this is next on the list! The vet wanted to leave it a bit longer to see if he settled in the latest new shoes combo or got worse/no difference.

With mine thin soles do improve with suitable diet and exercise to keep his metabolic issues under control. He also has pads and putty up front because he has significant rotation plus some sinking so we aren't taking chances and prefer to keep support there. As well as offering protection from bruising the pads and putty stop the sole wearing too much (he has dropped soles from the sinking) while still allowing stimulation so they thicken. He now has decent sole depth, he used to have almost none and at one point was in danger of coming through the sole which was so thin it would flex with thumb pressure. I'd be guided by your farrier on what combination is likely to be best for yours, after all he's a trained professional and if you don't feel you can trust him find another that you can! Feedback is useful for them though because you deal with him on a day to day basis so will pick up things that they don't, even the best farrier isn't psychic :)

Reactions: Toz
newrider.com