my position needs a little help...

Nikita88

Jul 13, 2004
USA *Wisconsin*
www.freewebs.com
My instructor says i have outstanding leg position which is a compliment. My upper body needs work...for example, I always stretch my arms like there is no bend in my elbow and she is always getting me on that, for some reason i just can not keep the bend in my elbow no matter how hard i try. when we are jumping she always says "bring your shoulders back" i lean to far forward....just simple things like that. I have pictures of me riding with my position, but my computer takes a long time to post up pictures on this thing, so if your good with position stuff and could help me that would be great :) I can email the pictures or whatever....just PM me or write back on this thing.

xoxo
*Jen*

I am working on my upper body position too. I always thought I rode with a straight back and then I discovered (horrors!) that I slump a bit forward through my shoulders!!!

What are we doing to help correct this? Well, my instructor says to push my chest out, and to push my shoulder blades together (really pull the shoulders back), and to feel like I am leaning back. You would think that with all this I would be falling over backwards, have my chest sticking out too far etc. and have a dreadful position! :D But after correcting these things, she gets me to check in the mirror and - surprise - I am in the correct upper body position - it is not overdone at all! Just to get me in this correct position, I have to feel I am overdoing it and exaggerating things - and then it is actually correct.

It bothers me that I had always ridden with slumped shoulders in the past, and yet I had thought back then that I had good upper body position!!!

Thanks :) i was trying it sittin here in the chair, felt like a dork...but it felt right! im gonna try it next time i go out riding cause i do lean forward alot....my computer isnt acting stupid today so yea...here is my position.

Yea, i know...my elbows have no bend...like i said, im working on it :)

For all you other experts...any suggestions? besides more bend in my elbow

Attachments

• at show..jpg
    at show..jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 112
Hi :D

It's not that easy to see from your pic but, to me, it looks like your pelvis is tilted forwards which means that YOU'RE tilting forwards which makes it difficult for you to bring your elbows back beside you because they're helping to balance you. Does that make sense? Do you feel a bit unbalanced sometimes?

I would try and work on your seat position first and make sure that you are sitting straight otherwise it will make it difficult for you to correct anything else.

I find the 'bring your shoulder blades together/stick your chest out' thing tends to make me hollow my back :rolleyes: My new teacher has me do exercises where I stretch upwards with my arms (in turn) and use the feeling of this to get the correct alignment - if your arms is too far back you will hollow, if it's too far forward you will slump, you have to 'learn' what the correct alignment is but it really does help.

Good luck

x

Yeah, i do tend to ride with my pelvis forward. i do feel a little unbalanced when going over jumps sometimes, thats probably the reason...ill work on it :) sorry its not the best picture, my camera has been acting weird so im going to try and upload the others and i can put up a better one. THanks for your help :)

xoxo
*Jen*

Originally posted by Bay Mare
I find the 'bring your shoulder blades together/stick your chest out' thing tends to make me hollow my back

Yes, indeed it can do this. My instructor and I discussed this very thing. I should have mentioned this. So while I do all that, I also have to try and refrain from hollowing my back at the same time. :rolleyes: Yikes, so much to think about at the same time!

I had the same problem for a very long time and finally got frustrated enough to do something about it. For me, that meant getting on the longe line. I felt an improvement after my very first session and plan to have them regularly.

newrider.com