My thoughts are wandering...

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
We have nearly finished the conversion of the out building and I am pondering and wondering what to do.
Part of me likes the idea of holiday letting - for both horsey and none horsey folk. The other part wonders if a long term let might work?
I have no clue as to what people would be happy to pay to live here. We are quite remote so that may well work against us. We are half an hours drive from the nearest proper town.
Anyhoo what would you pay for the following;
Brand new fully furnished self contained apartment with eating area, tiny kitchen, two single beds, shower, loo, sink, washing machine / dryer utility area, small garden to rear.
Four acres of post and rail fencing. Two field shelters.
Access to fab safe hacking.
Accommodation will have heating / hot water / leccy shower.
Was wondering if someone rents it then do I include electric - putting a sep metre in might be costly?
Would it even appeal to a horse person? Probably not a married one and not one with kids as lacking in space.
Thoughts?
Thanks

Oh and there would be wifi included. Plus parking for a horse trailer and car or wagon. And the post and rail land some of it would be right outside their door and another two paddocks round the corner. All completely private and separate from my bit (wouldn't want to intrude on folk!)

Its an area of outstanding natural beauty and part of the Forest of Bowland too - so a lovely safe place to live with horses.

Last edited:
If I win the lottery I would come and live there!! Sounds like my idea of heaven! Peace,utter peace! I Think you may be suprised by interest you would get. Peace and quiet is rather sought after,certainly in my area! And I think as many horsey people would love a quiet out the way spot as those that like busy yards. No idea on price I'm afraid but it sou ds like heaven to me!

Reactions: Trewsers
Yeah tis very peaceful. That is usually the first thing visitors say to me. Luckily now we never see the nowty neighbour as he's planted a row of trees and they have grown up nicely.

Can I come and live there please??? Sounds stunning and I'm sick of London.

Would it appeal to a horse person? I think definitely! A married one perhaps also. If you need the income I would of thought a long term let is more reliable but running a holiday home would be interesting. Just curious but if people bought their own horse do you offer somewhere secure to store tack etc? Also what happens when they go do you have to clear the fields before the next people or do they do it? Sorry I'm just really curious to how these take your own horse places work, you may not know was just wondering :)

My boyfriend and I recently hired a cottage in the forest of dean for a week, sounds similar sort of set up as yours and similar location wise (except different parts of the country) and that was £350 not including electricity or any horse facilities so you could probably charge alot more

Yes I have a secure tackroom for storage that long term renters or holiday people can use.
If people came for a holiday poo picking and field maintenance would be my job. Long term renters would poo pick but I would roll their fields if they wanted me to. And of course maintain fences etc.

I think it would be popular for a long term let. Our farmer rents out the little house that is attached to his. My friend has it and she keeps her 2 horses on the yard. She loves it because she can just roll out of bed in her PJs and go sort the horses. She gets on well with the farmer and it works well for us having someone horsey on site (farmer is a little scared of the horses tbh... he just doesn't know what to do with them)

I think the issue with long term renters is finding someone who fits in with you. I know they are living separately but you want them to be treating you and your property with respect (I know you want that anyway when you let out your house but more so when you live beside the person). At least with the holiday cottage you will be shot of the person in a week or so. How would you screen who you would rent to. I think your home is your sanctuary and you don't want it to become a worry because the person is pestering you for X,Y and Z or taking over "your place". If it can be very separate or you can find someone with a similar way of thinking to yourself then it could be really brilliant.

I think it would be a very popular holiday let. I agreewith Rubic that you may find a long term let too intrusive,watch your PP and RV as well holiday let is easier to get and has less effecton RV than new seperated dwelling.

Can I come live there? Lol I would kill for something like that.
I agree holiday let's are probably less intrusive, all the places I've stayed with horses you leave the paddocks/stables as you found them, mucked out, unless specifically agreed beforehand so don't think that poo picking would have to be a job for you, just provide a place for them to ditch the muck and tools to do it with as if people trailer in they often won't have room to bring a wheelbarrow.

Thanks everyone lots to think about!!! I don't really mind the long term idea and maybe having less privacy as it isn't totally private here anyways due to having neighbours both sides. But, of course it might feel different having someone long term rather than different people each week.
I think you are allowed to rent a bedsit out without pp but will check of course - think that is what we might class this as.
Soon as its properly finished I'll take pics and make a vid and would welcome any pointers.

I would probably do short term holiday let to start with, to get to grips with sharing your space with others.

Cant wait to see videos/pics, would fancy coming for a horsey holiday :)

I was thinking about this on my way to work this morning, if rented out as small property with 4 acres, given you are rural it could be a farm lad or something with dirt bikes rather than ponies thinking 4 acres to do as he pleases on might be fun, probably worth specifying it as grazing, even then how would you feel about a heard of llamas or something??? Very exciting stuff though x

Hehehe llamas! Lol I've heard mixed reports on them....:D

Its all worth considering - I'm looking forward to getting it finished. I just thought it would appeal to someone who had maybe two or three horses and was paying a big livery bill - it would be a cheaper option for them.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com