My Torsion test ride/ First go at bitless!

My dartmoor treefree has a gullet/channel running up the underside of the saddle which provides spine clearance. You can get different sized pommels as well and Tom can even make a made to measure one. Both the pommel and cantle are fibre glass. My mare goes lovely in it and it is so comfy. I have a suede seat on mine but you can buy replacement seats, you can have a thicker one or a leather one.

It's great.

Last edited:
I stand corrected regarding the Treefree and spine clearance:)

Sounds a nice saddle, obviously quite a bit more developed than the Fitform was.

Maybe not a pony, but nearly so, my welsh section D is ridden in a treeless, a Freeform, and he's absolutely fine in it. It doesn't have spine clearance, just wither clearance, but given that you're not putting a piece of wood (tree) on his back, and the numnah doesn't have a seam on the spine, is it that vital? He's never shown any signs of a problem since April when I bought it. Bebe is right, he sometimes sweats up like any horse, but never down his spine.

My Freeform is black leather,and looks fine, I think, although not as conventional as the Heather Moffat one. It does look more conventional than the Fitform did or the Torsion does. I understand it's Ok to use for dressage or the show ring, but I must admit I haven't put it to the test.

Drummer's mum, I also have the fat bum effect, and found the 18in seat is absolutely fine for me! The advantage of having a saddle with an interchangeable seat! I sound like a walking advert ..I don't mean to, just am very happy with my saddle.

Torsion Saddles

Thanks for all your replies everyone. I'm making this posting short as once again I can't seem to post a longer one, although it was only a few short paragraphs long!

Sometimes I could throw my computer out the window :) :)

Roseanne

I just wanted to mention that if you are thinking of buying one you might consider a larger seat size than the one you are trying.
From the picture it seems like you are sort of sitting on the cantle?
About towards the middle of the page are instructions on how to determine seat size. :)
Good Luck with your saddle search. :)

Umm one quick comment - KatieB in the photo you have posted you look like you are sitting on the cantle :eek:. In treeless saddles you need to sit between the pommel and cantle - not on the cantle. It looks like your legs are so short (stirrups I mean, your legs look long :) ) that it is pushing you back in the saddle. In order to sit correctly in a treeless you need to have a really correct (classical) seat - this means WIDE hips, upright posture and long legs. If you sit like this then you are pressing the cantle (in the torsion a fibreglass block by default) into the horse's back - ouch! Try sitting in it without stirrups and then adjust them to your new position. My bum is much larger than yours and I fit in a 'standard' torsion so you should easily :)

Last edited:
This is a bit of an old thread! Thanks for the suggestions anyway but I never did get a Torsion, dont think they were the saddle for me.

newrider.com