NAF Oestress, Electrosalts & Seaweed

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
I have been using the NAF Oestress supplement for one month (and have nearly used my 500g tub) and I've seen an improvement in Stumpy's mood in general. I was wondering, should I buy another pot - and how long should I keep her on it for?

Also, has anyone used NAF Electrosalts and NAF seaweed before? Any comments? What effect/change did using them have? Thanks :)

I have just put Zoe on oestress. How long before you saw an improvement? My vet (small animal) keeps his on it for the whole breeding season.

The mare I look after is VERY grumpy when not in season, and much worse (if possible) when in season! She is on Oestress at one scoop per day when out of season and three scoops when in season. If we run out a pot she gets much worse so it definately helps her! If your mare is not so grumpy and you don't want her on it all the time, maybe you could just give her it for seasons? I don't know I haven't read the pot...
'Tis good stuff though, and I like the smell of it for some strange reason! :confused: lol!

I used Naff seaweed, mainly because I take kelp/seaweed supplements and thought it was a good idea. I am not going to give it any more once this tub is finished as her feet are growing really quick and my farrier says she doesn't need it. I used ot for hoof skin and hair properties rather than anything season-y.

I put my tempremental young mare on oestress, and I have to say te difference has been amazing, she is now very chilled and stopped teasing my horney gelding :rolleyes: which has helped them both :eek: I have now taken her off it again for 2 reasons, last year it was just her first coule of seasons she was really horrid for and I am a complete synic, I want to see if it is still making any difference :rolleyes:

I have used Electro salts before, when we did heavy work / competitions, in hot weather and if we did long periods of sustained exercise. For general field keep in warmer weather I just give salt blocks or loose salt. Either way I have never had any low-salt induced problems.

I have never used the seaweed, I have toyed with the idea, I will follow this thread to get more info/thoughts about it.

J x

Thanks Jessey :)

The oestress has worked wonders for me too, I was just wondering how long I should keep her on it for? It's expensive isn't it?!

Re: the electosalts, she's only on them after hard work/sweaty hack etc so I'm hoping im not ODing her!!

Seaweed, she's looking fab on it. I believe its a GP kind of supplement.

I didn't think it was TOO expensive once I got her down to the maintainance level but its certainly not 'cheap' either.
Thing is Jess is quite plump so I don't want to have to feed her all summer. If she goes back to being a bag I will find a way to get it into her all summer long, she was a real witch last spring, reared and boxed me in the face and then got me against a fence with both barrels, so being able to do anything with her this spring tells me something has been working :D
I am just going by trial and error, if her later seasons are not so bad (most find the first couple the worst) then she may not need it at all but if she is still horrible I will get her back on it, either just 1 week in 4 if thats enough or all the time.

Yeah I would say that should be fine for electro, the cheaper way is to just put a pot of table salt in the field or put a salt block out so they cn help themselves to it, horses are very good at only taking as much salt as they need.

The seaweed does sound good, I might try it in the autum, summer is difficult for me as none of mine need any hard feed so currently I feed a pelleted vit suplement.

J x

Last edited:
seaweed is an excellent supplement,it contains all the minerals,vitaims needed for a healthy horse promotes good hoof health and skin condition as well as being a blood cleanser,we can get 20kg bags up her for £20:00 punds it's called sea quim i think?would need to check and it works out very cheap.
Where ever wild or feral horses have access to the sea shore, they browse at low tide on seaweeds. In fact, for many ponies, seaweed is a major component of their winter diet.

The oceans, from which all life evolved, contain all the elements, in a natural balance. Seaweeds concentrate these minerals in an available form for the rest of the food chain. Once commonly found in most stables' feed rooms, this wonderful food is all too often overlooked.

SIMPLE SYSTEM LTD's PURE OCEAN SEAWEED is harvested on the Atlantic coast of he British Isles. Collected in trawl nets, it is taken under water to the plant where it is chopped and dried in cool air. Thus, it is completely pure, fresh and unpolluted.

PURE OCEAN SEAWEED is a suitable feed for all horses and ponies, containing high levels of minerals, trace elements, vitamins and amino acids, all in a natural balance to enhance health, resistance and recovery. It is especially good for:

Native ponies needing nutrients but not calories
Endurance horses needing extra electrolytes
Improving strength and quality of hooves
Veterans
Youngstock and breeding stock
Out-wintered horses and ponies
To help balance deficiencies in poor hay
Mineral deficiencies.

Typical/average analysis: Crude protein 6.9%; Crude fat 2.5%; Ash 20-25%; Energy 8MJ/Kg.

Vitamins: (mg/Kg) Provit A 40-65; B1 6-8; B2 5-10; B12 0.004; D 4; E 100-200; Folic acid 0.2; pantothenic acid 3.

Minerals: (mg/Kg) Iron 713; Sulphur 29600; Selenium 0.9; Iodine 835; Zinc 51; Calcium 35500; Copper 7.5; Magnesium 880. Amounts per day/maintenance:
small ponies
Large ponies/small horses
Large horses
30g
60g
90g

These amounts can be doubled at times of stress, hard work, training, breeding or growth.

Handy tip! 30g is about one ounce. A tablespoon holds one ounce.
Mix into the normal feed, preferably dampened. As with all new feeds, introduce gradually over one week.

SIMPLE SYSTEM LTD's PURE OCEAN SEAWEED is a straight feeding stuff.
Only ingredient: Cool dried Ascopyllum nodosum
Store cool and dry in a closed container, away from light.

Pack information: Available in 5Kg poly pack and 20Kg professional pack.
Please contact us for details of your nearest stockist; also available mail order. More information

here's some info i got of a web site hope it helps:)

Seaweed is an excellent alround supplemetn. I haev sued it for short time as a bit of a pick me up tonic. However I wouldn't advise usingit permanetly over long periods as it is very high in iodine.

I've been using 'Hormonise' for Cassie, which is liquid, she's been on it 1-2 weeks and is definately calmer already. I think it's cheaper than Oestress.

Well, I can confirm (I think) that oestress is great :D, after I typed that last post I trundled off to the yard in the evening to meet a really foul tempered mare, she even charged me when I went into the field, so I promptly started her back on it and she seems much happier and more chilled out.

It costs me just under £20 for 50 days on maintainence, so thats just under 40p per day, for my piece of mind, a happy pony and not getting charged and kicked at, I have now decided that its not really that expensive ;) :D

J x

newrider.com