Nails (as in finger nails!) and horses

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
It’s that time of year where flipo is in need of a damn good brush every day to get rid of his winter coat and I come home covered in dust and dirt lodged under my nails. I’m not at all girly, but I’m an office worker and as much as I keep my nails short, I find it really difficult to scrub out the dirt from under my nails every night. What do you guys do? Any tips or tricks? I have to say I’m quite guilty of painting them a dark colour during summer so no one can see if I don’t manage to get all the dirt out. (Yes, I’m a slob!)

You and me both. I've always got dirt under my nails, so I have to paint them to cover it up. I always have a shower in the morning before work but quite often I find that my nails still have dirt under them even after a shower.
The only problem is that I have to take the paint off the next morning and redo it as the paint gets scratched off with all the farm work.
I do use a nail brush and plenty of soap. But if I brush too much my skin gets sore under the nail on the tips.

I don't seem to be able to go within 3ft of mine, even when I don't really touch them, and still end up with dirt under my nails :rolleyes:
Hair washing normally works, if not it's the nail brush, but there is often still grubby bits. Last resort is scraping under them with the hooky thing on nail clippers.

It’s that time of year where flipo is in need of a damn good brush every day to get rid of his winter coat and I come home covered in dust and dirt lodged under my nails. I’m not at all girly, but I’m an office worker and as much as I keep my nails short, I find it really difficult to scrub out the dirt from under my nails every night. What do you guys do? Any tips or tricks? I have to say I’m quite guilty of painting them a dark colour during summer so no one can see if I don’t manage to get all the dirt out. (Yes, I’m a slob!)

Mine generally come clean in the shower just by default. I am too lazy to use the scrubbing brush on them. Even tho mine are short it still gets under. Hmm. Not like you can be arsed sitting soaking them in a bowl of warm water either.....................

Mine generally come clean in the shower just by default. I am too lazy to use the scrubbing brush on them. Even tho mine are short it still gets under. Hmm. Not like you can be arsed sitting soaking them in a bowl of warm water either.....................
Ha ha, I just wash my pots when I get home, that tends to fetch out any grub, although my hands are rough as a badgers bottom just now, so it's either minging nails or cracked dry skin, neither of which look particularly pretty. :oops:

Reactions: Trewsers
Haha was thinking of starting a thread about this myself. The number of times I’ve quickly put my hands under the table in a meeting when I’ve looked down and realised how dirty my nails are!
I too find hair washing the easiest way to clean them. Other than that it loads of soap and a very stiff nail brush.

Gel polish! I've never been a girly girl but found the wonders of gel polish. My friend does a dipped layer in acrylic powder and they last me upto 3 weeks with no chipping! The acrylic dip makes it abit harder but no as harsh as full on acrylic nails. I now have my own kit at home and they hide a multitude of sins under my nails :-D

Reactions: Native Lover
Forget the dirt nails, at the moment my hands are a purple/pink colour. I seem to get more umbilical spray on me than the lambs. I get a few funny looks at work and usually have to explain myself. Had my hands in water most of yesterday and they were still multi coloured, faded from purple to pink. Then topped up on purple again last night.

Reactions: Jessey
As soon as I walk into barn I put these gloves on and regardless of the job I’m doing the gloves stay on till I leave. They keep me warm in the winter and clean always . I buy a pack of 12 for £10 and they go in the washing mashing and a pack last me about a year . 5B212C37-AFE3-407D-B503-220356C3F65B.jpeg

Ah I love all these replies thank you!! Didn’t know about the barrier cream, good idea, and duh I should have thought of gloves! Ok, think I need to try both and see what works.
I agree re the shampoo in the shower but to back up my already questionable personal hygiene *whispers* I don’t wash my hair every day!!
I’ve bought new nail varnish aswell, and I’m gonna make an effort to be more groomed like Flipo haha thanks all!

newrider.com