Napping causes and Cures.

clipclop

Jan 13, 2002
UK
Visit site
AS napping is such a common problem and topic in a lot of message boards etc i would like to ask anyone who has had experience with napping horses what they feel was the cause of it and also if they managed to cure it and how.

I.e waht I am try ing to find out that if there seems to be a common problem for it and also if ther is a common cure for it.

I think thats a really difficult question to answer. There is an answer obviously, but all horses are so individual, and the circumstances can vary so much.

I believe at the end of the day it all boils down to the relationship you have with your horse and how you deal with the problem. I don't think napping should be confused with spooking, though it can be an after effect of mishandled spooking.

I also don't agree with the opinion that on some days your horse has just got out of the side of the bed - that is just condoning lack of respect.

I think most napping problems stem from either a break down in respect and trust between horse and rider or during establishing confidence in a new relationship, or a change in home.

The cure is to either re-instate or establish the horses respect and confidence in you.

When my youngster napped, I went back to ground work, long lining and lunging, restored willingness and obedience on the ground. I never disciplined her, just asked questions, ignored the bad behaviour and praised the good. The first couple of days were pretty horrendous, she had definitely got too big for boots, but when she realised that regardless of what she did, it was a wasted effort - I would still keep asking, the penny soon dropped.

When I started riding her again I got a friend to walk out with me, partially to give Breeze a lead, but also for me - a bit of a security blanket. After a couple of rides we went solo and we have never looked back. I always ride with a schooling whip, I use my voice alot, I only ever ask with my legs twice, quickly followed by a whack of the whip across my own leg - then if need be I give her a smack, but that is very rare. She will now go anywhere, through mud, puddles, herds of cows, on the road - I'd honestly trust and take her anywhere.

I don't know if this has answered your question, but this worked for me.

Lesley

When a friend of mine bought her horse Gypsie, she began sharing my horse's paddock. Gypsie was 7 years old and had been by herself since she was weaned, and spoiled rotten! She became very attached to Misty (my horse) and refused point blank to leave the area around the paddock- very frustrating as my friend was (trying) to train for a charity distance ride ten days long!

Mainly she rode in the paddock or floated Gypsie to another area to ride- not ideal but her behavior was dangerous- rearing, backing, spinning, etc. Even trainers could not make much progress.

She took Gypsie on the ride- ten days with other horses- but no Misty- and when they returned Gypsie has since stopped napping! In her case the cause was separation anxciety (sp?) and the cure was separation so she learns that every ride does not necessarily end at home so running home is no use, and it will be ok if Misty is not with her

Originally posted by Dizzy

The cure is to either re-instate or establish the horses respect and confidence in you.

100% agree with this advice:D I had a bad time with my young one a few months back that I felt like I'd never get through. As soon as he realised he couldn't boss me and my confidence and trust in him grew so did his in me. Now we ride anywhere, alone or in company. I was very proud recently when out riding with an aged horse that refused to go past certain things etc and my horse was the one to go first and have the others follow. Was funny to think that in most cases isn't it the older leading the young:D

Hi,

When I bought my TB, an ex racer, he napped very badly. He ran backwards, backwards in circles!!!, went "rocklike" refusing to move at all for up to 20 mins at a time and even reared occasionally (no fun on 16.2 hh - already tall!).

I put this down to his lack of confidence, not just in a rider, but also in himself. He had obviously frightened someone by these tactics in the past because after each episode he'd pay attention to any response illicited by his behaviour. It was very noticeable that if was being ridden by someone not totally confident and they panicked or reacted badly themselves it made him think that there really was something to be afraid of and he'd behave even more erratically.

I found that the best way to tackle the problem was to be very patient with him, give him plenty of reassurance by stroking him and talking to him whenever something set him off (which could be anything ie a horse in the far distance or walkers in a field) and letting him take his time in going forward.

This may sound as though I was being really soft on him, but bullying is never an option, 91/2 stone me against 550kg Harve, I don't think so!!! Even the smallest pony is physically stronger than an adult and why even try when you can get such great results with a little kindness.

I now have a horse which is a fantastic hack, in company or alone, schools nicely and we've even done a few local shows - something I would never dreamed of attempting in our first year or so together!!!

Nix and Harve

I had a big lad a few years ago, 17.3 he was at 4yo. He was a go-back-mobile, could run back as quick as trot forward. I discovered that I was leaning forward and pulling the reins at the same time, giving him the ideal opportunity to go back.
Once I'd mastered this, I either got him to go backwards if that was the only way he would go - but in the direction I wanted to go - or allowed him to stand and stare - yes, as long as 20 mins on occasion - till he got thoroughly bored.
After a few weeks he would hack out quite happily alone, and he was a super XC horse, but sadly I had to sell him and I know for a fact he is now a field ornament - don't know if that's why. Wish I could get him back, he was a love.

newrider.com