Napping horse- best way to ride??

Harlequin32

Feb 20, 2008
Our yard is in a very busy village and the only way to get anywhere involves going through it on the main road. My horse is nappy when ridden alone so we just haven't bothered I have a friend who i was hacking out with most days so was not a problem really. The thing is she is leaving the yard which means i will have to ride alone. My horse has been out of work for a couple of months and she will be gone by the time i am riding again.
Whats the best way to deal with this? I have a book which suggests keep turning small circles until the horse realizes its easier to go forward. This is ok in theory but as its a main road i cant really try it!
Also would it be best to ride a certain route over and over and when he's used to that and ok add more and further places or should i try and take him different places right from the outset?
There is a little circular route around the village which we can handle in company easily and i wondered if it would be best for him to stick with this for a while as he wont have his buddy who makes him safe:rolleyes:

What does he do when he naps? Plant? Spin? Turn and head for home? Obviously being on a main road, safety has got to be the highest priority here...Have you tried walking out in hand, or with someone else? Can you go a few metres along the road, then turn home? Then the next day go to the next lampost and then turn? Whichever, you are going to have to have patience!

I didn't have an immediate main road to contend with, but I used to have a very nappy horse, and in slow but steady progress, I can now hack out happily alone.

Be safe
x

Hi Harlequin,
What a shame your friend is leaving the yard...

I would strongly advise you to find an NH type person to come and help you. When your horse regards you as his leader, it should give him a lot more confidence when you're out on your own.

Have you tried any calming supplements too? I use Calmag for Indi, and I did notice a difference in him when I ran out once.

In the meantime I would do what bexj suggested. Maybe lead him out in hand (if he's good to lead), and then get on and ride back? Just do little and often.

Good luck anyway, and stay safe. Let us know how you're getting on:)

Leading him out in hand is a great idea, increasing/varying the routes, but don't put off riding him forever as this will become a big "bogey man" in your own head which you'll transmit to him. Once aboard, you have to almost behave as if you're riding a youngster - as in, don't stress or show any sign of fear when he naps, but calmly, consistently ask him to go forward. Slightly turning him when you do so can sometimes sort of knock him off balance (if he's planting) and help him to take the first step. You have to act totally bored with his sillyness (even if your heart is beating ten to the dozen) and insist that he does as he's asked, giving him loads of praise when he does move forward again. But year - saty safe ey. Winning the battle isn't worth putting yourself at risk on a busy road.

Go back to basics and do some groundwork training. As already mentioned, she needs to understand that you are the boss and this is the best and safest way to do that. My mare started napping badly after having 6 months off. I did lots of work with a dually halter, and what a difference it made! She has not napped since, and has generally become a happier horse (and I'm a happier rider!!) LOL

Good Luck!

:)

UUMM What did he do??? god thats rediculous its been so long!
It was nothing REALLY major, backing up and spinning and just being generally reluctant to leave the yard- There is a mare at the yard who he is very attached to and as soon as she starts calling thats it. I have been leading him in hand just on farm land but not near the horse fields so its in an enclosed area. I wouldn't be too confident about in hand on roads as i dont feel i have huge control over the rear end! I have got him out alone but felt it was maybe a battle only just won by me. The other thing is he was hard work all the way prancing around and just getting very hyper.
I have been giving him magnesium and Oestraban but not really sure if either are doing a great deal. The magnesium is about to run out so will soon find out:)

Hi Harlequin, I do feel for you i also have a very nappy mare who would back up, bunny hop, spin etc.

For the last 2 weeks we have been hacking out alone and she has come on leaps and bounds.

The way we did it was firstly walked out loads, then had my dad walk with me, just short way at first and then he would drop back a bit each time but be there if needed. Then we would go further and dad was on a bike and just getting further and further behind. It took a while and it was every day but it really seems to have upped her confidence.

We also have been together for about 6 months now and it is only in the last month that i feel she is starting to trust me so just keep working at it, it may take a while but you will get there in the end. Just build his confidence and make it a good experience each time.

good luck

Gx

Thanks Georgie, you are very lucky to have a dad like that!!
Unfortunatly i dont have anyone willing to come out with me- or even help in anyway so have to go it alone.
Would you consider loaning your dad out to a good home for a few months:D
Well done for sorting your horse out though I hope it all continues to go well xx

Of course!!! I will ship him to you....all he needs is a good roast dinner and a few beers!!! :D:D Bless him, i think he thought that hand holding would be over after the teenage years...no way did he think that he would be doing it for his 32 yr old daughter!!:eek:

I do appreciate that without anyone it is hard for you without help, walking out in hand will help to get him to see you as someone to be trusted. I was told to walk at her shoulder so that you are not dragging them along and lots of voice aids to get him recognizing your voice commands.

Just walking (riding) around the yard i used to practising halting, sitting really quietly, getting her to stand still and then in a positive clear voice with leg aids saying 'walk on' and only after she had stood and walked on give her praise. This has been very useful when we have been out and she has had a moment or seen something scary i sit very quietly as i found any pressure made her panic,and go backwards etc, gave her time to have a look and then when i feel she is ready give her the walk on command. She seemed to remember it from the times we did it over and over again.

Sometimes it takes a few times to get her past something but always without too much pressure at first, and clear commands.

I do understand as at first i used to read about people who had overcome napping and think i am just never going to be able to do it but it can happen it just takes time....a lot of time and patience and perhaps a few tears but its all about the partnership.

Obviously this is only my limited experience but hope it may help.

Gx

I don't think this is going to work for you because it sounds like you need to cross the main road before doing any decent hacking - but another method with a nappy horse is to take them out then, turn them back before they nap - thus making turning back your idea not his. Each day increasing the ride slightly but trying to ensure its always your idea not his.

Napping can make you anxious and more so with the danger of the road so I would not be surprise if your tension is not transmitting. Do you have access to a trailer? Maybe you could try boxing him and working on solo rides in a safe area. I know this is not ideal as the napping strongly relates to the yard but it will enable you to work safely with him and build confidence in each other.

Good luck :D

When i say main road Its not a major 60mph sort. But it is too busy to really spend much time messing around on. I dont just have to cross it i have to go along it for a fair distance. I like the idea of just letting him look at sitting it out but am a bit worried he won't just look but will spin for home.
Fjordlady- Yes i am certain i do get anxious-otherwise i would have cracked this long ago before it actually became essential to ride out alone. I think i am pretty good at staying calm though and just talking to him even when my insides are jellified!
I may try your theory. I have always thought turning back increased the chances of napping but actually when you look at it the way you explained it does make sense.
Thank you all xx
ps- Hi Sheryl, thanks again for advising!!

newrider.com