Nasty when wet...

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well, I can't be alone in my hate of nasty wet smelly rugs! The past couple of weeks has been so wet its been a constant juggling match with turnout rugs. I have a rack and all that but they are just not drying. Whats the secret? Sunday morning OH shoved them in the tumbler at the house - knickers to it I thought, its the only way to get them dry! (Who cares if my sox smell of horse rug?!:p). Am thinking tho that you aren't meant to tumble dry them? They are damp and nasty around the neck and I couldn't bring myself to shove such a garb onto a dry horse first thing!
How do you all cope - do you have lots of rugs?!

I have enough rugs to last a herd of about 100... whoops!

We are thinking about putting heat lamps up in the end box though to dry horses or ponies :D

I think I need to buy more rugs!!! Never had this problem before, as for some weird reason when I was on a yard what with the turnout being restricted etc it didn't seem tohappen? Also last winter our lad was on box rest, so of course no turnout. Right, am off rug shopping.......(need something cheap and medium weight!)

there used to be a company that made rug dryers which dried rugs in about 20 minutes - might be worth trying to find them, they used to be in southampton and they made a plug in frame that you hung the rug over and it had a heating element in the frame so it gently dried the rug without scorching it.

EQUINETOURISM.CO.UK - HORSE RUG DRIERS
AREA BUSINESS CONTACT INFORMATION
NATIONWIDE

Horse Rug Driers - Simple Fit Ltd
Equinetourism.co.uk **** product rating
Extend the life of your Rugs & Blankets with a Centaur Heated Horse Rug Drier. Designed to dry damp rugs, blankets, numnahs and clothing in a couple of hours. All the driers (apart from the single wall mounted unit) are fully portable and can easily be manoeuvred to the nearest power point.

Tel 023 8066 3210

email centaur@simplefit.co.uk
www.horserugdriers.co.uk

Simplefit Ltd, Unit 4W, Marchwood Industrial Estate, Normandy Way, Marchwood, Southampton SO40 4PB
T: 023 8066 3210

This is the company i was thinking of but not sure if they are still in business

I leave them on overnight. Nowadays most turnout rugs are waterproof and breathable and can do both jobs. Makes life much more pleasant and no cold rugs in the mornings:D

I also use the horsey-drier system :D
OH would never let me near the tumble drier with horsey rugs - he even bought a horsey-rug washing machine to avoid horsey stuff being washed in the same machine as his clothes !

tell me about it! my car stinks of wet horse (boot loaded with dirty horse rugs soddened by flooding). I tend to hang them over a jump pole in our store, there's a bit of a through draft and it helps partially dry them off :)

I always leave them on also to dry.

Find they are wetter if taken off as the horses body heat keep its from soaking through, when taken off i find the whole rug rather then just the outer ends up soaked through.

Horses body heat is the cheapest dryer i've found haha:D

Thanks for the link - may be worth looking into! I really do need another medium weight rug for both of ours tho, they have plenty of rain sheets but only one "proper" turnout.

newrider.com