National Velvet

Elcon_Poet

Jul 4, 2008
I'm watching it now :) has anyone seen it? what do you think of this old horsey movie? I don't think there is a horsey film out there that I don't like :D

I like it. But prefer International Velvet.

Ms Taylor irritates me a bit in National Velvet. But it's a horsey film and the story's lovely so I always make sure to watch it when it's on :).

I've only seen International Velvet, I have the DVD for National Velvet but haven't gotten around to watching it yet :rolleyes: I really liked International Velvet though, "Pie" was gorgeous, he reminded me of a lovely horse I used to ride :D

loved them both..but changing the topic slightly, has anyone ever seen a documentary on animal planet about a groupof people who tame wild horses in the desert, these horses have never been touched by the human hand, and in 10 days I think it was, the people were riding them in the desert?
It was fascinating..Id love to know wat it was called:confused:

Why does it always make me cry, I'm such a sucker for these types of films guaranteed to blubber every time

Ooh - at the risk of sounding old - much preferred National Velvet!

International velvet just didn't follow on properly - and the Pie was a totally different colour!

Black Beauty with Sean Bean in it was my all time fav horse film though!

I love that version of Black Beauty I have it on dvd, its so heart breaking when black beauty finds out ginger died and then he reminisces about her its so so sad, but at least he had a happy ending when Joe finds him at the horse sales that was a weeping moment too

oh don't - that gets me every time! That bit at the end in the horse sales and Joe almost doesn't recognise him! I used to want to take him home myself.

Love both National Velvet and International Velvet:) Especially the former though. :D

What is Phar Lap? I've seen the recent flicka film and of course the silver brumby can't forget that horsey film :)

Horsy films are wonderful, but some are spectacularly bad :p - has any one ever seen a fairly old one called Lightning The White Stallion? It has it all - over-the-top acting, terrible special effects and a ridiculous plot. They used 2 different grays for the lead role - one minute the horse is quite araby-looking, with a pink muzzle; the next he is more roman-nosed with a dark muzzle. Awful, but worth a look just for a laugh! :D

What is Phar Lap? I've seen the recent flicka film and of course the silver brumby can't forget that horsey film :)

Phar Lap was a New Zealand racehorse, he was a cult hero and won the 1930 Melbourne Cup and Cox Plate, before dying in suspicious circumstances, they think arsenic poisoning. He's New Zealand's greatest racehorse and a huge bone of contention between New Zealand and Australia as they try and claim him as an Australian horse :rolleyes:

National Velvet was one of my favourite horsey films when I was a young 'un. Might dig it out today and watch it seeing as it's so horrid out!

Changing the topic slightly.. I saw a film in Woolworths the other month for £1 - Twobits and Pepper, about 2 girls and their ponies - the girls get abducted by the CIA and the ponies have to save them - sounds like a laugh!! Haven't watched it yet tho!

Haha yeah I saw that one in woolworths was gonna buy but then I thought its going to be really really bad for just a £1 cause I brought a very bad remake of black beauty a few months ago from there for a £1 that was sacrilege towards Black Beauty in my opinion I don't have it anymore gpt through 5 mins of it before I turned it off was so bad

Phar Lap an NZ born horse with a largely British pedigree was imported to Australia where he made his name as one of the greatest racehorses of all time winning 37 races.

Its a very sad story so you ever watch it have tissues at the ready.

newrider.com