NaturaL Balance to normal

jwmurph

Foxy
Oct 1, 2008
Wales
I am changing my horse from natural balance shoes to normal - is there anything I should be careful for or should he be fine to carry on as normal?

Thanks

Certainly. I cannot find a farrier who does them in my area. He came with them on and having looked into them I would happily continue, but i can't find one who covers South Wales.

I swapped from natural balance to normal shaped shoes. I had no problems. Joy didn't need her breakover point altered and her feet are a lovely shape.

I did a thread a while back about why I think it isn't right that there are some farriers that don't do anything other than Natural Balance shoes.

Obviously keep a close eye on how your horse is going and inform your farrier on the next vistit so he has address any issues with trimming etc. No different to how you'd keep your farrier informed about how your horse is going anyway. :)

Natural balance shoes, and the trimming method, were initially designed as a remedial method by which to bring hooves back to correct balance and proportion. They were never actually intended for permanent use, though the shortened breakover and set back shoe works well for many horses in the long term. As long as your farrier has been doing a good job, and your new farrier is equally good, there shouldn't be any problems at all.

newrider.com