Navicular!Need more info.

copper76

Jan 15, 2002
berkS
Visit site
As you may or may not know my horse was diagnoised with suspected navicular in the summer.I have been thru all the shoeing and treatments and I have had him sound in full work (inc small jumps,dressage comps,hacking ect) but last week I had the vet to look at him as he was coughing.The vet said to rest him which I have and now he is lame again after 6 months sound ridden!!Is it usual for a navicular horse to be more lame when being rested than when it is worked?
Very strange-pls help!!

yep - little and often is best. My 31 y.o. pony has had navicular for 15 years and is always worse if he is not ridden. He has devils claw and that seems to help.

All the best

a pony up at our yard has navicualr in one foot it's quiete in twisted she's 23 ish, diagnosed with it 3 years ago!!

she is always lame never ridden it looks quiete bad, so is this like a bad case of it!!???
so u still ride ur 31 yr old pony!!??

Last edited:
As this thread is about navicular could anyone tell me if is possable to ride a horse which has arthirits of the navicular and cannon bone? We are not talking hard hacking just light hacking as one of the girls on the yard has had her horse diagnosed with this and has been told not to ride but has been reading a book which says to ride. She is ringing for a second opinion but inthe mean time just wondered.

newrider.com