Neala has the runs!2013 hay too rich!

Oh thanks for that polly glad to hear things have improved with you,i had read charcoal is ment to be good so nice to get some feedback from you.
As you can see things are improving our end with soaking for 24 hours and the addition of the mycosorb,ideally a little firmer would be good but i think she does just have a sensitve tummy bless her.
Yey to no more messy tails and legs though they arent fun to clean are they!!!

:cry:
How are you getting on, has Neala continued to improve?

Were back to square one again!,

he seemed to firm up a bit but only for a day or two.

Vet came out for vaccinations and i asked him, he just confirmed i need to change hay!

So I gradually swapped to a more coarser hay as suggested by vet but if anything he's gone worse. Hes been on the different hay alone now for 3 days, im guessing that maybe it will take him a few days to settle down, but I am now worrying it could be something else causing this.!

If there is no change by mon I will be calling vet out, I may even call him tomorrow!

He was wormed 8 weeks ago.

He seems fine in himself and still as greedy as ever!

I as supposed to be meeting with my friend on sunday for big hack but dont feel i should ride him whilst hes like this.

Sorry for hijacking your thread :giggle:

There such a worry these horses

Hiya polly not hi jacking at all :)
Neala has no more scouring but is still slightly loose,it is inbetween what i would call ideal and not ideal,i cannot get any other hay here but am finding a 24 hour soak then a few hours to let it dry out abit are helping,but i dont think ill get better than what we are at at the moment.the mycrosorb i do think has helped abit though so maybe worth trying some?
Have you tried mixing some straw with the his hay?my vet suggested this 1/3rd straw to 2/3rd hay and i done this for a week and it seemed to help.
How is his water intake?neala was really drinking alot more when she first started with the water poops but has since gone back to normal,my vet was happy that we are were we are now,if i leave her out for a couple days on just the rough grass in the field she is normal again so we no for sure its just the hay and nothing more sinister.is there anywhere you can get 2012 hay from?i got coarser hay but still 2013 hay and it made no difference at all.your not alone in this alot of folk are having the same issues woth horses this winter,i just hope we dont have such a good summer again i want less sugar in the hay next winter!! :-( i have contemplated trying her on haylage,we have a supplier here called silvermoor and they do a light version that is suitable for lamis etc but if she stays as is i will persevere as we are.
Hugs and firmness vibes they really are a worry to say the least and certainly keep us on our toes.it may be worth giving a salt lick or adding some electrolytes to his feed or water for now,i done this just to give me peace of mind.

newrider.com