Neala has the runs!2013 hay too rich!

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Ok so I know what has caused it.2013 hay is too rich for her,I had managed to get a bale of 2012 hay and prob solved,now I can't get anymore so am soaking the 2013 hay over night to reduce sugar etc,have spoke to the vet and he said to mix 2/3 soaked hay with 1/3 straw so will start that tomorrow,she is on a pre/probiotic just wondering of anyone else is having this problem?simple systems feeds have said its been common this year with the good summer we had and the hay having high sugar levels so I know I'm not alone,vet also said the same.so any tips,advice or just anyone in the same boat?

All of ours on the yard have been really very silly this year, both hacking out and in the field - we all have hay from the yard and it was late cut because it was so dry and the grass really didn't grow very much, so you would assume it was lower in sugar .............

The only common denominator has been the hay really.

I put Tobes on a mycotoxin binder (just in case) off ebay and I can't remember the seller. Obviously he was difficult about eating the minute volume required ................ but it caused his poo to be firmer. I also soak his hay now which is a huge nuisance but has caused him to be slightly better behaved.

I think the longer you soak it for the better really, although with very picky ponies - such as mine - they actually would rather starve than eat it too soaked, so I soak for between 30 - 40 mins and it appears to be helping!

I have tried sourcing late cut hay in the hope but all the hay providers round her had a good year we were still having very rich green grass popping out our ears late summer,madness really and they all said no one will be different from their fields.it's soaked for about 14 hours so top of the scale really,she eats anything!
Is that the actual name of the product you have tobes on that you got off eBay?vet has said give her till tuesday ish and if no better we need to reassess.she is bright as a button so long as she is like that he said not to worry at the moment and hopefully fingers crossed her tummy will adjust to it.dear me,they do worry us don't they.

I had the same problem when I first started on this years hay.....both Dolly and the donkeys had the runs. I cut back the amount of hay and opened up slightly more grass for them (I have to manager the three of them very carefully because they are all fat porkers if you don't watch them!):biggrin:

Now due to the barn roof going walkabout in the gales I have them on a neighbours cow field, they have a good deal of grass, so I am very gradually introducing the rich hay back into their diet. If I find any of them are getting too loose again, I will start mixing it with straw.

I also find they the three of them got very silly on the rich stuff when I first fed it to them. Even the saintly Dolly thought she was off hunting again, instead of plodding quietly around the lanes.

I have to say, our Irish horses really aren't used to the wonderful crop we got this year, they are inbred to live on the second rate hay we usually manage to get in our less than perfect hay making Irish summers.:unsure: I will be interested to see any other ideas or suggestions, I am a little worried if even adding the straw when they are out of grass and on hay alone will do the trick.:frown:

I have tried sourcing late cut hay in the hope but all the hay providers round her had a good year we were still having very rich green grass popping out our ears late summer,madness really and they all said no one will be different from their fields.it's soaked for about 14 hours so top of the scale really,she eats anything!
Is that the actual name of the product you have tobes on that you got off eBay?vet has said give her till tuesday ish and if no better we need to reassess.she is bright as a button so long as she is like that he said not to worry at the moment and hopefully fingers crossed her tummy will adjust to it.dear me,they do worry us don't they.

It is Progressive Earth on ebay. I agree, the hay this year has been very good indeed. Tobes is generally (no surprise) very fussy, but loves this years!!!

I feel your pain contrasna as in my head I'm thinking well what the hell will I do if this doesn't settle.we have no grass now,Neala is still on her own as the others are just not accepting her although we are going to try again soon,if I can get her into the big field their is grass a plenty which will help.
We don't usually get the high quality, as the farmers say,hay cuts as we have this year either.the others horses on the yard have been having high jinks but not the loose bottoms,Neala just doesn't seem to be able to cope,vet has said try to preserve through a certain time period as her digestion should start adjusting to it but it's a worry.
Her behind wasn't as much of a mess tonight as it was last night and this morning but she still had the tell tale marks and her droppings were still very loose although not quite as loose as yesterday.
I hope your transition goes as smoothly as possible with your 3 when you start introducing the hay again.

It is Progressive Earth on ebay. I agree, the hay this year has been very good indeed. Tobes is generally (no surprise) very fussy, but loves this years!!!

Thanks sjp,have sent a message as to whether or not they think this will help and also if it's safe for an 18ish month old cob.
Lol yes you can see the difference in the hay even I think mmmm that's looks so fresh and tasty!

Fingers crossed for her. The mycotoxin binder is generally against mould and acid caused by too richer a grass etc. which causes issues.

I think they will be able to help you as they understand nutrition and will be able to point you in the right direction. If they do think that is the issue, let me know - we have loads and will be able to post you some in an envelope tomorrow which won't arrive til Monday but might be quicker than waiting for them x

Ive been having the same problem. Well bert has not me!

Ive been having to clean his tail and legs.

Only thing that's changed is newer hay, was hoping it would settle down but its been a week now.

Hacked out yesterday and was expecting him to be silly but was good as gold.

Need to call it at countrywide store in morning to see what could help.

Only other thing is soak it but as you say it is such a pain this time of year.

Hope ,Neala settles soon, could you let us know what progressive earth say

Sjp thank you so so much you really are very kind :) they are away until today so hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow and I will update Polly and let you know what they say :)
This is the 3rd time I've tried 2013 hay and everytime it's happened but I now can't get older hay so need to try and find a way to help the situation.soaking hay isn't too bad for me,bin 100yrds from stable next to the fence that runs by the river so I just tip it over leave net while I faff and it's next to the hose so I wud be naughty if I complained as I know how much of a pain it is on some yards to do.

Just a thought and I'm sure you will have done this but did you gradually mix the new stuff in with the old? Sometimes that can help tums get used to it. Hope she's better soon though, they always seem to give us something to worry about don't they.

Hiya let yes we mixed didn't make Mich difference :( but she is slightly firmer bow than she was,she is still loose but rather than projectile loose it is now more of a spring grass poop and her legs are not a mess so its getting better.
Pro earth got back to my and the mycosorb (so) is safe for her and they said should help abit but maybe won't firm them uo completely so I've ordered it and hopefully here by wed :)

Hiya sjp it didnt arrive till yesterday so she only had it last night and this morning,her poop isnt as loose but still would like it a wee bit firmer but we dont have the scouring that we did so will see what happens over the weekend and will report back as think should have an idea if its helping by then,how long did it take you to notice a difference with tobes?

You might find that the rain is also playing havoc with their droppings. All the extra water content in what grass they are eating is making Shadows a bit wetter than normal. He doesn't have sloppy poos, but you can tell there's more moisture in them if you know what I mean?
Maybe try some probiotics to help them digest the haylage better, and keep their tummies comfortable?

Ours went through a silly patch too!

Nothing wrong with their droppings but one in particular was very bold for a while and the other had protein type lumps on her neck, girth and chest areas from the change of bales but then was fine and they have both settled down with different batch.

Hiya sjp it didnt arrive till yesterday so she only had it last night and this morning,her poop isnt as loose but still would like it a wee bit firmer but we dont have the scouring that we did so will see what happens over the weekend and will report back as think should have an idea if its helping by then,how long did it take you to notice a difference with tobes?

I noticed a slight difference after the first two doses, and then maybe two days and it was normal.

He wasn't scouring, but it wasn't his normal poo if that makes any sense. A lot sloppier than it should have been.

I personally think mycotoxins play quite a large part with horses kept the way we do.

We all blame 'spring grass' for sloppy poo, which is quite right, but it actually shouldn't be that way. It is showing acidosis in the hind gut which is not good. I intend to use the Mycosorb when the grass starts coming through.

Keep us updated as to how long she takes to get back to normal on the Mycosorb?

Sorry didnt see these last 3 replies!
DS i know its not the rain only as we havnt really had much at all,she is on protexin which has helped a bit.
Tbminx,i will be honest neala hasnt been silly at all,i really dont think she has the energy in her to be silly(she is happy amd healthy nothing wrong)she is just one of the most layed back horses ive met and no energy is wasted unless absolutly nessesary :) some of the other horses on the yard have been feeling well though!!
Thanks sjp,she is now in the big field with lots of rough grass and still coming in during the day,i have found a 24 hour soak and also i am assuming the mycosorb are helping,her poo is alot firmer than it was.she was literally passing water it was that bad and her behind looked like a babies bottom whos nappy had exploded!we have no scouring at all now and all is firmer,but i would describe it as somewhere in the middle if that makes sense.she isnt drinking half as much water as she was,shes back to drinking normal amount instead of the excessive amount she was for the firat few days. All in all i am hoping another week or so on the mycosorb will sort it out completly and thank you very much for all your help i had never heard of it or realised its uses so my something new ive learnt :) really thanks again sjp :)

My very great pleasure, and hope her tummy sorts quickly. Sounds to be going in the right direction anyway. I think some are just a whole lot more sensitive than others tummy wise.

Thanks sjp,was having a chat with the vet last night just keeping him posted and we both did say as she wasn't looking great and was wormy when she came all the new grass,hay and decent quality food etc will be a big change for her belly.we have introduced everything slowly over the last 4 months but the hay has been by fat the most difficult to get right with her.so all in all very happy and learning what works whither and what doesn't!thanks again :D

newrider.com