Neck rugs rubbing - anyone used any of these products?

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
So Tangos neck rug has been rubbing his mane nearest his withers until he has, not a bald, but certainly a thin, stretch of about 6 inches.

There are 2 reasons why I've been using the neck rug. Firstly because I'm a wussy first time owner and so am convinced he's always cold (although to be fair I was told he feels the cold when I bought him but have so far managed to resist the heavy weight rug :giggle:). Secondly he is a mud monster. It takes me forever to groom him before riding to the point that I then only have time for the quickest of rides! And I'm only trying to get his face and saddle / girth area clean! He is a total face roller and his ears are horrendous!

Anyway - first question is, is the mane likely to grow back on its own in the Spring? The second is, has anyone used MegaTek detangler, or the rebuilder (do you need to use both?). Are they worth starting to use?

Also have just noticed a 7 day mud away product - is that any good?!

Lastly - don't worry, I AM trying to wean myself off the neck rug!! :tongue:

i use a snuggy hood under angel's combo rug to prevent mane getting rubbed. it doesnt prevent it 100%, but helps.

is yours a combo or a neck attachment on a normal rug?

I have both. I started off with a no fill detachable neck but the rug rubbed him on his withers and rubbed the mane there, but it never rubbed the mane higher up.

Just before Christmas I treated him to a combo, which is better because it doesn't sit so heavy on his withers, but now I've noticed the mane thinning. I'm assuming it's the new rug?

Snuggy hood sounds like a good plan for your chilly muddy boy :smoke:

Ziggy is a face rubber. When he walks towards you in the paddock you can be sure he will have (1) a dog end of grass dangling out of his mouth like Andy Capp, (2) mud all over his face, eyebrows, cheeks etc and a big green grass stain above one eye, as if he has been in a fight.

I don't even bother to brush his face any more.

I think Mega Tek Rebuilder is great. Poor little Z's mane and tail came out in clumps when he was ill, and I have used the Mega Tek a handful of times (it is SOOO expensive) and it's all growing back beautifully, though TBH he has a fine mane for an M&M anyway.

Mmmmmmmmm, I've been slathering Boo in Mega-Tek and I'm not sure there is a huge improvement - apartt from him smelling like a pina-colada!:mstickle:

Rusty got a worn spot (not bald, just very thin) last winter when he wore his high-neck rug, I got him a Bossy Bib and it worked very well. Now I need to find that thing and get it out in case we get some really cold weather. We've been lucky so far with a mild winter - temps only hit -30 a couple of days so far.

I dont use rugs with necks for that reason. C has a heavyweight with neck that he can wear in the worst of the weather but he has not had it on at all this year! I think a snuggy hood is a good compromise.

For the mud, I just brush the bits I need to. He looked ridicuous when I rode him yesterday!

Caymens mane just grew back in after the rugs came off. I didnt use any product on it but didnt really know that there was anything I could have used!

I dont use rugs with necks for that reason. C has a heavyweight with neck that he can wear in the worst of the weather but he has not had it on at all this year! I think a snuggy hood is a good compromise.

Agree with snuggy hood been good idea, I have also avoided the neck this year for that reason, I put it on when it was really really cold in December for a day or two and it rubbed a massive chunk of mane I had spent all summer looking after and stopping her scratch off so I am afraid it's cold neck now!! She has a very thick mane (where its not rubbed that is!) so I think that helps insulate a bit.

ETA if you keep putting mane and tail conditioner on regularly it does help stop some of the mud sticking and brushes off easier..

Last edited:
Three things
1 - boss bibs - very light weight and protects the withers and shoulders and they pop in the washing machine (also cheap to but on ebay)

2 - carr and day cerestex (SP) sprry very bad spelling its in a small round faltish tub and used on hoofs but is excellent on bald spots. I use it a lot on my lad in the summer when his field mate tries to eat him bring the hair back lovely.

3 - Again carr and day coat shine. Spray on when Tango is clean and it stops the mud sticking also excellent to use before you clip as makes the clippers go through a lot easier. Also out polish in his tail and mane this de tangles and stops the mud sticking and is a lot cheaper then horse products. (a lot of hunt yards use this method)

Too late now you have the rug I know BUT, I find that rugs that have neck attachments don't rub his mane out, but rugs that are combos do. I think because the stress point is in a different place?

I have tried hoods, bibs and specially designed rugs to little avail. It is just something I have accepted as part of winter. MegaTek rebuilder is fantastic for protecting the hair and minimising damage whilst promoting regrowth :smile:
Alf is the worst affected of all of mine, his hair is very fine at the best of times and by October he only has half a mane :rolleyes:

newrider.com