Neck rugs

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
I have rugged melody so I can do some riding this winter, with a standard neck because she is such a muddy bog monster most of the time, I went too ride her yesterday and she was clean under her rug....... but like a bog monster on her mane full of burrs and twigs ......grrrrrr

She has an all in one including head and face lycra rug. and I wondered if I use this with a full neck rug if this would stop pulling her rather full mane out. ???

What do you think??? only asking as I want to do some showing this next year. Once my box is back on the road.

I have not had a problem with full neck rugs pulling manes out, even full length au natural ones, as long as the rug is a good fit and they aren't too warm in it. My concern with lycra underneath would be it would get wet and soak rain down under the rug, unless you have the turnout version?

If its purely for the showing just bath her before a show and keep her in would be my way. For hacking etc i dont mind mud monsters :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Does she come in like this everyday?
Mine is out naked and I literally flick the mud off where the bridle and saddle is going and set out as is.
I am backwards in that I might brush her on return. My thinking is I don't want to waste precious time when the weather could change.

Reactions: carthorse
Raf has a neck on his rug and still manages to get his mane clarted with mud. I find combos rub his mane on the seam, detachable necks are better for him but he will still lose some mane. Fleece is the worst - it seems to stick like Velcro to his mane and pull it out in handfuls.

The yard staff have removed all hoods from rugs unless the weather is below freezing. This is because so many manes rubbed out last year and they have only just recovered.

newrider.com