Need a little help ( maybe a lot of help )

wanttobecowgirl

Jul 31, 2005
Out West
I will make this short cause it is kind of long...:confused: I am somewhat a new rider have a first horse, well kind of like my 2nd horse first on I had for 2 weeks and he had to go back was lame.. Ok so now I have a mare 14 years old and 15h. I have a size problem wanted something smaller but when I first found her she was a dream so mellow and sweet.. I got her on July 4th and is being boarded at a friends house. I know she need to settle in but she was kind of spookie always looking for something to happen. So gave her 2 days to settle and started doing Parelli ground school ( not for her BUT for me to get use to her) things going well...:eek: :eek: THEN... a few days later she is in season..OMG what a goof ball, she was not bad but would not let me touch her and was very SPOOKIE.. She lives a pen or 2 away from a stallion.. I know not a wise place to have her..but he was ok with her in season.. So after 7days of her sillyness which I did not take her out, (I would brush her and pet her as much as I could from her pen.) she has gone out of season. She is still spookie so I was told to give her a small amout of Valerian Root, I did yesterday and she was calm got to do some ground work in the round pen. Had a happy day:) Today was a different story.. gave her the root and NO she was not calm!! So another surgestion was to start her on wild yams?? This is to help her calm and maybe not so spookie. I have only rode her once since I got her cause I think the ground work and bonding should take place first ....right?? Ok next question since I do not know this mare very well she was sent to me with a tom thumb bit, was told not to use it! Remember I am a beginner rider so my hands might not be the best on the reins, what kind of bit should I use? Something that has a presignal so I don't hurt her. She seemed to be calm and do what was asked but that was before she was moved to her new home.. If you can help please let me know... Thank you

1) give her more time to settle in - there is no rush - of course you're excited to be getting on with things with her - I would be too :) - but imagine how long it should take her to settle in - then multiply that by about 20 !!! You have the rest of your lives together - take your time. If you did nothing but brush her for a month that would be fine. Anything you do faster than that is a bonus.

2) plain old snaffle bit, with a little leather curb strap tied underneath, and slobber straps on your mecate reins. That will give you all the pre-cue you need, and will avoid any tendency for you to be too heavy handed (not that you are at all - just that you're just starting out, so they'll make it easier) - I'm assuming she's western trained, obviously.

3) quit worrying about herbal supplements. She'll be fine - she just needs to settle in. Having a stallion right there is perfectly ok if you're an experienced handler and have had horses who have been there all their lives. For you - find her a new home. You just don't need that additional complication while you are getting to know her, and she is getting to know you. If you feel she is too much for you to handle where she is, by all means stick her on 'cool and calm' pellets as a temporary measure - just a gentle all-around calming sedative - the reason I say those rather than the other herbs you mention is that you don't want to get to thinking these things are ok long term. They're not. It's just helpful in the short term, while everything's new to her - new home, new you, different horses ... while it's all new to her, putting her on a calming something is infinitely better than you getting kicked !

4) carry on with your groundwork. Even if you just do groundwork for 3 or 4 weeks, you'll do great. Just work with her, watch her, learn to communicate with her ... take as long as it takes - that way it will take less than you thought :)

5) congratulations - you must be so happy !! Where are the pics ???

if you have a picture on your PC ... go to a site like photobucket ( www.photobucket.com ) and upload the picture there, then post the link so it looks like this :

Cool - can't wait to see her :)

(btw I just bought a new pony this morning too - so happy :) )

Wanttobeacowgirl,

Just like to say I'm impressed with your mature attitude to introducing your new horse and to agree with Katewottons suggestions. It's lovely that you are giving her the time and space to settle and are allowing her to be herself. Follow your instincts here, you are doing ok. She willl come calm soon, once she feels secure and then you can enjoy years of fun together.

Good luck, take it easy

newrider.com