Need advice: copper, sweet iron or rubber

jennyec

Oct 15, 2007
Hi

I have a new forest mare who is 13.2hh and 9 years old, ive had here since she was 2.5 initially she was broken in with a full cheek stainless steel snaffle, after she was broken in properly i was actually advised to swap her onto a rubber full cheek snaffle, which i did, she got on ok, but shes never seemed to accept the bit properly, she was turned away due to personal circumstances for about 2 years and has been back in work for about 5 months, shes still "funny" with the bit, i was advised to get a flash nose band now which is helping with her mouth opening, shes not sore or anything like that, and happily takes the bit when i tack up, it just doesnt seem to suit her!

Ive been doing some research and one of the downsides to the rubber bits is that they can feel "fat" in some horses mouths, and i think this might be the problem, so i want to try something else that would feel nicer in her mouth, not too keen to go back to a plain steel bit, so wanted to try copper or sweet iron which do you suggest would be better? Or obviously any other ideas id welcome!

Jenny

I'm a big fan of sweet iron bits, I've never sucked one to try it but I understand they taste sweet to the horse! My old cob went better in sweet iron than standard steel bits, and I know quite a few horses who seem to like them. They seem to be available in different thicknesses, and they are cheap!

It's why I don't like rubber bits. They look so thick to me and certainly as a small pony it may simply be too big for her. I like copper and sweet iron for a wet mouth. Coquette's taken very well to her copper bit.

As to which is better, copper or sweet iron. Personal preference (horse preference?) is what it comes down to. Sweet iron bits are cheap, so it might be worth trying that first, and then moving to copper if she doesn't like it.

Thanks, sounds silly but do sweet iron bits wear through? I know its the rusting caused by oxidisation which makes the iron sweet, but you would think this would mean the bit would slowly get thinner, or is it so slight you would never notice it?

Jenny

I managed to wear one out with my old cob - it got so rusty it became a bit rough so I didn't want to use it anymore. By that time I was convinced that the style of bit (sweet-tasting French link) was best for him, so I splashed out on a KK Ultra which has been fabulous - I'm still using it on my current mare. That said, one of the horses I ride a lot has had the same sweet iron bit for about 4 years, he is ridden most days and it hasn't gone rough at all.

not sure about that one as we've not been sound much since we had it :rolleyes:

js is just rusty really, well like sort of patchy anyway... sorry i cant be more helpful!

Oh well even if it does only last about 4 years, its not too bad, one new bit at £15 ever four years is hardly alot of money when i think about how much i spend on food, bedding, livery costs etc!

Jenny

newrider.com