Need ANOTHER new saddle

Lgd

Jan 14, 2002
Sunderland, UK
Visit site
Well, not to be left out, Tavia (the 'baby') has decided that she needs a new saddle as well, despite the changeable gullet her Isabell just doesn't fit any more. OK, it might have something to do with all the extra muscle she's put on lately - who on earth could have been working her so hard :D
In fact she's put on so much bulk Peri's Luxus almost fits her - it's a tad wide still, but considering she was swamped by it 4 months ago :eek:

My friendly saddler (she must LOVE my horses) is coming up on Thursday with some saddles, hopefully something 'off the peg' will fit as I don't want to waste a month waiting for a custom built saddle (much as I would like it she is NOT getting a Luxus - I refuse to starve to put a saddle on her back).

You have to pay the hard way now for all that work. lol

I am jealous. How many times to you work her each week and for how long to build up muscle like that?

Gosh, despite the bad news, this is GOOD news! Sounds like Tavia's been doing extremely well.

Accepted that I know nothing about tack, have you looked at treeless saddles? Actually, Lgd, I'd like to know your opinion on them. Am feeling a bit confused.

Good luck with your wonderful, burgeoning mare!

Answers in order:

Clip Clop - she's worked 6 days out of 7, Monday is day off, I ride her Tues- Thurs, Claire works her Fri - Sun unless I'm competing her or she's away. Claire was deprived this weelend as I rode her for a clinic lesson on Saturday (very good, Donie saw a big improvement in her :D ) and I was away competing Sunday with Peri, so no saddle for her to use.

Mikka - I have considered treeless but they are prohibitively expensive, and to be frank I'm not that impressed with the workmanship on those I've seen. I'm traditional in some ways and I'm not convinced about the spinal and wither pressure issues. Heather's will not be along soon enough, although the Saddle Co one would be in my price range.

Galadriel - she is not getting my Luxus, Peri and my bum like it far too much :D

Update

Well saddler came yesterday. Tried several saddles on her to no avail, her back is so flat that the front panels were not even in contact except for a Frank Baines saddle which I tried and found rather uncomfortable for me. Then out of interest I rode her in my Luxus with a pad to fill out where it's a bit wide for her. Forward and loose despite the less than perfect fit. The saddler actually had a Luxus demo saddle in but it was a size 3 which is the same as Peri's although she reckoned mine looked wider and pointed out that as mine is custom made it will be different. So we both trekked back to the shop and measured the other saddle - ½" difference in width which is the difference on her template compared to Peri. Saddler has done me a very good deal on my old saddle and has knocked a big chunk off the normal retail price of the Luxus as it is a demo model and has been ridden on - still means baked beans on toast or extra locums for a few weeks. Becky rode her in it last night and she noticed a big difference. Claire will try her tonight and I'm competing her on Sunday. Saddler will come back next week and check it to make sure she's happy with the fit before its a done deal.

What was that I said about not getting another Luxus :D Oh well, at least my bum likes this saddle!

You should've known when you uttered those words ' she's not getting a Luxus'

I work in a shop that can give you a very good deal on beans :D just give me a shout;)

Lesley

Update time - the other Luxus doesn't fit her, same problem of panels sitting above her back at the front, so we are back to the drawing board. Peri's is an OK fit if I use a prolite pad, it may be that I end up having to have one custom made to get a decent fit.

I have a wide Excel dressage in black that I am looking to sell. Its very comfortable but tho' its a 17.5" its a bit small for my rather ample rear. I have had a new Balance Matrix, but then I love my balance saddles. If you are interested in trying the saddle we could either meet up on the A1 or if you wish I could Courier it to you if you paid postage.

Thanks for the offer Jane, but it looks as though we are sorted (I suspect it would be too wide for her anyway). Tried a medium fit Jeffries Piaffe on her at the weekend for the tree shape thinking it would be too narrow and it fitted! Just need to get it in a 17½" as this one is only a 17" and my bum is a bit too ample for that :D Nice part is that it is quite cheap in comparison to the other saddles we were considering. Must admit I was cringeing at the thought of a £1000+ for an 8yo that I know is going to change shape again as she upgrades.

newrider.com