Need new riding gloves - your recommendations?

Sarah-B

Oct 8, 2005
Hampshire
It's my birthday next month (35!! :eek: How did *that* happen??!!) and as my gloves are terribly worn I thought I might ask for some new ones.

I have Roekel Chester's and have not been overly impressed, they wore around the little/ring fingers really quickly so am after some that will stay good looking for longer. I wear gloves all year round, but don't really need them for warmth as I am hot-blooded!!

What are your favourites?

I have the Chesters and love them, i know tons of people who wear them without problems! :confused: They are the only ones ever to fit me!

SSG are my favorites. They have summer and winter ones, plus show ones. I like the everyday fabric ones. Velcro fastening, lots of colors and patterns, you can do up girth and bridle buckles in them, and toss them into the washing machine (but not the dryer!)

NB: You can do up buckles in the summer-weight ones; I haven't tried to do that in the winter-weight ones.

I like the Roeckls too but don't know what they're called ... the cross country ones! I had mine for about 3 years before they were stolen and they were still in good nick! My next ones lasted about a week and a half ... before being stolen .... which reminds me, I need to get some more too!

Roeckle every time. They are like a second skin and allow great feel. Love them.

I've got Roeckle's and adore them. They've replaced all the other gloves I've ever bought because they're just so much better. I think I've got the Chester's at the minute but plan to get a pair of the winter version before the cold weather hits.

I like the MacWet gloves :).
I used to hate wearing gloves, but find the MacWets fit really well and give you a good "feel". I've had one pair for 3 years. Unfortunately the right hand one got torn after a nasty accident I had :eek:, but I am still wearing them as an everyday pair and apart from that they haven't worn at all :)

Ive worn just plain gloves with grips (which cost a fiver but last about a year or two for me) for years and years but my mum got 2 pairs of gloves for her christmas, so sometimes I wear her Roeckls and theyre really comfy.

The pair she wears are John Whittaker and theyre really really good gloves. She had her first pair for about 2 years but then lost one :p
and has now had this pair for about 8 months (obv!), and theyre still in great condition.

Highly recommended!!!

Ariats for me to. I won't wear anything else if I can help it. They last and last, looking good 18 months on with regular wear, fit well and don't move on the hands while I'm riding. These are the ones http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/prodshow.asp?id=1356&a=srch
Be careful to get the right ones - they sell regular and the thick, insulated ones.

That said I have had a pair of Macwets (free gift) and I did like them. They didn't last as well as Ariats for me though.

I just wear the 'Track' or pimple palm cotton gloves. They are cheap but seem to last me awhile, and cos theyre so cheap it doesnt matter if they get worn or lost. And they come in lots of nice colours :) You get an Ok feel on the reins too because they are quite thin, but great for spring/summer riding.

Sealskinz are brilliant all rounder.

They're from Derby House or any outdoor shops and are catered for all outdoor sports but there is one glove specified for equestrian.

They're waterproof and windproof. they cost about £28 and made of same material as wetsuits i believe. The best think about them that regardless of how cold it is your own skin temperture warms them up and you can stick your in in a bowl of water and it doesn't affect the warmth or dryness. They're perfect to ride in with the grips on them too

Have i sold them well enough?!!:D

newrider.com