need recommendations for best fly repellent

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
I need to find the best fly repellent out there. Poor Sofi has been bitten to pieces she has 2 lumps on her side the size of eggs and smaller ones over her body, the flies have also given her an eye infection in both eyes. I'm getting her a fly rug and face mask today (she was ok until fly repellent ran out on Thursday) The others are getting bitten but don't seem to have the same reaction as Sofi. So please could you all recommend the best repellents (for the other 3) so the others don't get bitten as much, as I can't afford 4 fly rugs and the others haven't got bites. Bubs has a fly mask but Joey won't wear one and Loki doesn't attract flies.

Thankyou for your help in advance

i use a med bottle brown vinegar with citronella oiland ecucaliptus oil in.works quite well if not then i think its called equine america something is really good its inthe shopping bit here.

I bought an e-book of homemade fly repellent recipies, It was hilarious, but one that seemed to work involved listerine, vinegar, tea tree and lemon washing up liquid!!!

Global herbs do a fly free feed supplement that smells terrible but works well.

I'm having an experiment this year as I hate using chemicals on the horses. They're both wearing fly masks each day (really hate seeing flies in horses eyes) but I'm not putting fly spray on. I'm finding that they're moving about more and therefore eating less which is great for their waistlines. They do have a field shelter that they use in the heat of the day and the flies don't seem to go in there so they do get some respite.

So far I'm very impressed with this little experiment as in previous years I've dutifully applied fly spray each day then watched as Dolly gets fatter and fatter as the flies didn't bother her so she just kept her head down eating all day...plus she used to get very scurfy skin and since I've stopped using fly spray, her skin and coat is lovely and bright :D Double benefits :D

I'm having an experiment this year as I hate using chemicals on the horses. They're both wearing fly masks each day (really hate seeing flies in horses eyes) but I'm not putting fly spray on. I'm finding that they're moving about more and therefore eating less which is great for their waistlines. They do have a field shelter that they use in the heat of the day and the flies don't seem to go in there so they do get some respite.

So far I'm very impressed with this little experiment as in previous years I've dutifully applied fly spray each day then watched as Dolly gets fatter and fatter as the flies didn't bother her so she just kept her head down eating all day...plus she used to get very scurfy skin and since I've stopped using fly spray, her skin and coat is lovely and bright :D Double benefits :D

Can't really leave my guys without repellent on as we are on very wet land and there are tons of horse flies and midges around and I've been bitten several times so wouldn't like to leave them without. My lot don't run from the flies either, only Joey will run from the flies. Bubs looked black due to flies yesterday and just stood sleeping:eek::rolleyes:

Carr day and martin insect repellent (not the one with deet) is good and good value for money but i saw barrier enhanced formula fly repellent at a show in 1litre size for £14 it is fabulous stuff really stinks and it has avocado coat conditioner in and his coat is gorgeous. Both of them are made from natural ingredients. I havn't bought 500ml barrier because it is about £10 and i thought that pricey but it is worth the money really.

You can get the tags they use for cattle and sheep and weave them into their mane and tail (I havent tried them).

I swear by feeding garlic and apple cider vinegar. Mine hardly gets bothered yet he has had a lightweight on recently because of all the rain and when the sun comes out, the rug is full of flies. Without the rug, the hover around him when he gets in the field and then all go away. He doesnt need feeding in summer but always has a handful of chaff with his ACV and garlic. Well worth it.

My poor horse has suffered badly with the flies this summer, I think I've tried every fly repellent on the market which seem to work for a day or two, then the flies are back with a vengence!! The only one that really really really works is Coopers Fly Repellent (which is quite exspensive), its not a spray but a lotion that you apply, it only needs to be applied every 4 days or so and it really does work, within seconds of applying this to a my poor fly bothered lad there wasn't a fly in sight! You do need to be careful though as too much lotion can cause a slight skin reaction but it will settle down in a few hours.

newrider.com