Need some thoughts

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
The field is obviously still a work in progress, and as expected I'm still tweaking things to work better.

I planned to replace my little 12v water pump with a petrol engine one so today I moved my water tank (IBC) from in front of the barn to up to by the road/borehole, less convenient but about 100m less work for the pump. Hopefully gravity will fill the trough from the tank. 1 tank is about 2 weeks of water.

But now I've moved the tank the 12v one is pumping much more efficiently and now I can't decide so here's the pros and cons I see, which would you go for?;

12v;
Virtually silent - no one knows it's there so can be left running
Will take about 8 hours to fill the tank
Requires a car/leisure battery to be carried 25m to it each time because;
Battery requires charging regularly (can't solar charge in situ as there's big trees and hedges to the east, south and west so always in shade)
Pump can be left in situ
Pump will probably need replacing annually, battery every couple of years
£55 set up

Petrol;
Noisy - will draw attention and I'll have to hang about while it's running.
Will take about 1 hour to fill the tank
I'll have to carry the pump in and out each time (10kgs)
Pump will probably drop water in my car after use.
Nothing to charge, just a little petrol each time
Will probably last 10 years or more
£200 set up

All this bearing in mind the place is rented so no guarantee how long I'll be there for.

Last edited:
Have to say I personally would go on the side of the silent one, but that is mainly as I am a bit sensitive about noise. I used to hate the Landrover engine noise in winter when I had no outside lights that was all we had. Hmm. Sorry not much help!

First one.
Cheaper, quiet, lighter goes in wheelbarrow or on trolley. I used one for luggage with the straps to pull mine.

Assuming you have ways to collect water off the roofs? I used to have two barrels and bath as my overflow.

Assuming you have ways to collect water off the roofs? I used to have two barrels and bath as my overflow.
Nope not currently, the barn is an arc so difficult to collect from as the 'roof' touches the floor and the roof of the courtyard buildings is covered in plants and has an overhang which means no way to attach gutters. If i build an additional shelter then I would.

Well, if you know that you are usually there for more than an hour a couple of times a week and you don't mind the noise while you are there, the petrol one is an option and would be cheaper over a 10 year life. Or you could sell it if the field doesn't end up permanent.

But I would probably get the quiet one because I like my peace!

Reactions: Jessey
Its in the top paddock that I don't use and can't really see from the horses area, so I'd have to make a special effort to sit with it, I couldn't just be pottering about doing other jobs while it's running.

newrider.com