Need stirrup advice...

Rudi

May 29, 2002
Canada
Visit site
My current stirrups are rather light-weight and flimsy. They twist so that in order to put my feet into them I have to reach down and hold them steady with my hand. My feet also slip forwards or back in them, and they aren't that comfortable - I think due to having a narrow base where the foot rests. I am considering grips to install in them or preferably buying new stirrups that have a thick base on which to rest the foot. I am thinking the thicker base gives more of a "platform" to stand on when posting (?) My questions are;

Are the grips a danger if a person has a fall (foot not coming loose from stirrup)?
Are there different materials for grips and which are best?
Are the wider stirrups a danger if a person falls?
Is there any difference between thinner looking steel stirrups and heavier wider ones (brown coloured, not sure what they're made of).
How good are jointed or flex stirrups (supposedly keep heels down, reduce leg fatigue)
Are there any best stirrups for simple trail-rides?

Any opinions greatly appreciated
:)

Are the grips a danger if a person has a fall (foot not coming loose from stirrup)?

I wouldn't think so, because when you fall your entire weight would be to strong of a force for the grip.

Are there different materials for grips and which are best?

The few that I have seen have been rubber.

Are the wider stirrups a danger if a person falls?

They shouldn't be. Afterall, you're only put a small part of your foot in the stirrup.

Is there any difference between thinner looking steel stirrups and heavier wider ones (brown coloured, not sure what they're made of).

How good are jointed or flex stirrups (supposedly keep heels down, reduce leg fatigue)

I love them, but I have only seen them for English.

Are there any best stirrups for simple trail-rides?

Whatever is most comfortable for your. I just bought a western work saddle for trail riding and I have regular wood stirrups wrapped with rawhide.

twizzling stirrups

I sometimes pick up an american horse magazine - they are easier to get in sweden than they were in UK ! And I have seen ads for stirrups which have a "joint" after you hang them so they turn the right way. These are supposed to ease knee stress. Don't know how good they are and there seems to be more than one type.

p.s.

you can also get endurance stirrups which have "cages" on the front which I think are safer.

And I think you can 'train' your stirrups to turn more on a western saddle if you store it with a pole through the stirrups so they are turned the right way.

Larger Stirrups

If the stirrups you use are really far too big, your foot can slide too far through if you fall and get stuck, which obviously can lead to draging, so I would pick my stirrup size carefully. They should not be too small either though, as this can also trap your foot.

Here's a bit of an update...the kind of stirrup I'm planning on buying is western, made of leather with a 3 inch tread. (The tread is the part that I meant to be nice and big). Thanks for all the replies :)

Rudi

newrider.com