need to do some MAJOR equitation work

Luv 2 Trot

~I luv my boys~
Jul 7, 2004
On Earth :P
Visit site
ive decided i need to do some major work on my riding. Carnegie has made it very difficult to keep my leg steady and such because i have to use all of myself to make him go. i know what i need to work on, basically my legs and getting my heal back down and my legs steady again. i know that no stirrup work, 2-point, and leg lifts in the saddle are all very beneficial. does anyone have any other suggestions, whether its in the saddle work or not, that could help with my legs? i also do heal stretches before i ride where i stand on a step and spread my legs like im in the saddle, bend the knee slightly and drop my heals. thats helps some. anyother ideas? my focus this winter is a lot of equitation work....even though i probably wont be showing equitation anymore :(. oh well, still need to ride properly for shows. ;)

As iam missing out on riding with Porsha only being a baby, one of the very kind ladies on the yard are going to give me some lessons on her dales, i have asked to do a lot of work without stirrups and reins to try and perfect my balance for the big day of backing Porsha!

Good luck, I love working to goals:D

try lengthening your stirrups and you also said you have to use all of myself to make him go. have you tried a dressage whip or spurs? many dislike the use of spurs as they think that they harm the horse but if you are taught properly then they will work wonders. if you decide to use spurs try a pair with a longer shank this will prevent your heal coming up when you use them on your horse

like you said, i would do no stirrup work. Get to the point where you can go your entire ride without many breaks, without stirrups. There is no better way to harden those muscles and make yourself concrete.

Use mirrors if you have them available. Put yourself in the correct position and try to keep it while you ride. Occasionally check yourself in the mirrors and see how you're holding up.

Unfortunately, the really only fool proof method to getting a secure, strong position is by riding. There are many excersizes out there for riders, but nothing replaces time in the saddle.

You might be surprised that as you grow in strength in your position how your horse reacts. I find that when I correct myself, my horse is much more willing to listen, move forward off my aids, and therefore do what I ask. If you're still having trouble with the forward part, tune him to respond to your suttlest aid. (a dressage whip and spurs can help wake up a lazy horse and make him reactive to your leg, but as he responds better try minimizing the aid you have to give him and so he should come more onto the aids and become more attentive).

Hope I've been helpful! :)

Thanks guys!

With Carnegie, i was using both spurs and a dressage whip a little over a year ago, but we had an incident where he spazed and so ive been bringing the whip back slowly. started with a small riding crop, and am now using just a small dressage whip that taps right behind my leg when i need it. hes pretty good about whips in general. spurs worked for a while i believe, i dont recall. but i also recently found his "go" button so that has been helpful...unfortunately now we have to start over because he was lame the past week. haha...oh carnegie. :rolleyes:

i rode my BF's horse on sunday in my close contact saddle which i hadnt ridden in for awhile because id been focusing on my dressage stuff for a possible job. Since the stirrups are a bit shorter, i was definately working on stretching my heals down. and boy did it hurt!! luckily, i will be riding his horse much more since she is my main show mount and he and i have kinda traded horses for a while, so i will get more time riding her, plus the school horse, plus carnegie and hopefully between the 3 of them, i will be able to get my equitation queen title back! :p

newrider.com