needs sparking

or pasture mix is a less exciting alternative. apparently most horses find it a bit more heating than nuts, but not to the point where they're unsafe, which can happen with oats. one of our liveries wanted a bit more spark in her pony, and rather than try something inbetween first, she got some oats. it took 2 of us to bring the mare in from the field, and the girl was too scared to get on her. they can have more effect than you want!
also, cobs are often naturally laid-back, so feed will only have a limited effect. how fit is he? getting him fitter will help him to find work easier, so he should be more willing.

I have a really ploddy pony and the best thing for him was oats. I know everywhere says its heating, its not on maverick. He hasn't been ridden for a week because of his sore back but i have kept him on the oats and he has been fine. Last year i did the same thing with race horse cubes and competition mix and he went insane.

Maverick's personality has completely changed since i put him on oats and his work and fitness has improved dramatically. He has the spark I had always wanted but never bolts even on XC when he is ridden in a snaffle and no martingale.

You should maybe give them a try and see if it makes a difference.

go into a big feed store, and look at all the competition, or meduim/hard work mixes, and select which one sounds best for your cob.
one to look at is instant energy, by Dodson and Horrell, ideal for stuffy horses it has on the packet!!
then there is showing chaff it has linseed in it to give that extra shine and give more energy but still forage!!

Hi thanks for your replys. he is generally fairly fit, still working on it though just hard when is so unwilling to put some ooomph into it!.. I think I wil introduce a slightly heating mix first to see what that results in. I still want him as a bomproof hack so I may test oats see what happens first!! lol.
I know his last owner had him on oats at one point and he turned a tad skitty in the road, which I know would knock my cnfidence. I havent had him long so were still building up a trust, you know .....getting to know his bad points! However dosent seem to be many of those. on roads if hes unsure of something he will just stand there untill told to walk on/reasurred. bless him!

I know this is slightly off the topic but have you tried a different bit? Is he happy with the bit you ride him in?

My gelding always used to plod around and I tried everything. At one point he was on 2 different cereals for heating, oats and barley! Still nothing.

I changed his bit from a snaffle to a french link. He didnt seem entirely happy with the snaffle, I didnt want anything stronger so I decided on the French link. He loves it. He is now so much happier to move forwards, never needs loads of leg and is still the quiet horse i wanted. (Just wanted to point out that I am in no way heavy handed and the slightest contact and he would slow to almost stopping.)

newrider.com