Neigh Question

RodeoBella

Obsessed with my Rodeo Bella!
Dec 12, 2018
Midland, Texas
Rodeo Bella always neighs when I walk away to leave her. I always stop and turn around to tell her “I’ll be back” Is she neighing because she doesn’t want me to leave her?

Rodeo Bella always neighs when I walk away to leave her. I always stop and turn around to tell her “I’ll be back” Is she neighing because she doesn’t want me to leave her?

Where are you leaving her? In the field or in the stable? My horse whinnies at me when I leave him, but this is more of a plea to get him out of his prison (he is on box rest) and give him food and attention. He does recognise and call to me, but I am sure that this is only because I am the one who feeds him.

Does she have other company? they call in recognition, mine only call to me when it's about food. They just need their basic needs met, food, water and company, and if they are they are generally content.

Mine will neigh in greeting, only if they don't want leaving will they whinny or neigh, like @Mary Poppins one of ours is on box rest atm and if she feels she's missing out on something she'll say so!

Buddy whickers when I go down to the yard in the morning, as he is expecting breakfast, he doesn't neigh much in the field or at all. the only time he does is when he is in the box coming home and he recognises the turn up our lane as it is sharp and he starts shouting and stamping as he knows he is nearly home.

The donkeys on the other hand are a wall of sound constantly telling me off.

I've made no secret of the fact that Gracie is very vocal. This morning for example, she whinnied in recognition as I got out of my car, before I'd even opened my mouth. She then whinnied again for her breakfast (I soak a bit of Fast Fibre). Whilst it was soaking (in the feed room out of sight) she wuffled at me persistently from her stable door until I walked over to say hello. I put my arms around her head and she dropped her head into my chest, stopped wuffling and sighed. If that's not a welcome, I don't know what is!!

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Raf isn't very vocal. Jack is - if there's no grass worth grazing and you call to him in the field he'll neigh back at you. In summer, he'll ignore you because he has his head down eating. He whickers and wuffles constantly as soon as he hears teas being made, or if you go into his stable with a treat. I think all his sounds are food orientated :p For all his lack of verbal skills I think Raf is more expressive than Jack. He looks more interested to see me and interacts more - asks for a scratch, plays with my zip etc. Jack really only wants to find out if you have something for him to eat, I do wonder if he has been starved in a previous life ...

newrider.com