nerves

Janette

Jan 20, 2003
Wakefield, England
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here, and thought I'd ask for some advice on nerves.
I fairly recently got back in the saddle in a more serious way, when I began to share a horse with my mum. Last year I showed her in an in-hand class, And 1 ridden class - (the horse, not my mum!!!!!). The inhand class went Ok ish - more my fault due to lack of experience, but the ridden class was a disaster.
I felt so nervous that I nearly backed out of it all. In the individual show, Star couldn't/wouldn't pick up canter for the 2nd time. and so we were dropped from SECOND to LAST.
PROBLEM: In my minds eye, I just see a repetition of this, and even though I have worked out a plan of action, including 'rehearsing' a perfect indivdual show, the missing canter just keeps creeping into the picture, and I feel the butterflies. I can feel them now, as I type this. I really want to do this. Honest, how can I jump this obstacle I seem to have built for my self?

One way I can suggest for you--perhaps not ideal--is to attend several "schooling" shows. At these shows you're attending for the experience and your score really doesn't matter. If the pressure is off, you may find it easier to perform--and then, once you've done it in the show ring once, it may be easier to do at a "real" show :)

Good luck--keep us updated.

I agree, go for the experience and don't expect to get placed. you may well be amazed by the outcome. Also find a song that works for you, I know that may sound odd, but I used the Carpenters 'Sweet, sweet smile' as one of my dresage to music themes for trot and now find if I hum it or sing it when riding I remember to breathe and I smile! The result is I relax and ride better. Try it, it might work for you too.

The more you do the less the butterflies appear. Do some baby shows, where you are not looking to be placed and concentrate on your performance, you will enjoy yourself and realise its no big deal. Bet everyone is as nervous as you. My first show I forgot to show the other rein and came in feeling very smug until my groom hissed - you didn't do the left rein !' L

I know exactly how you felt. My Dad waas standing with me, before I went in the ring, and Thought the idea of changing classes to a lead rein class was quite funny. At that moment in time I felt quite serious about it. My 11 year old daughter haas been doing this in pony classes for 4 years now, and SHE thinks its all quite funny. Very helpful Idon't think, but that's 11 year olds for you. :(

Another thought, try reading 'That winning Feeling' by Jane Savoie. It gives great tips on positive thinking leading to positive results.

newrider.com