Nervous about vet visit tomorrow!!!

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
I've posted a few times about the fact that Puz has been up and down since the beginning of the year, she's not so bad in herself but under saddle her performance has been really inconsistent.

At first we thought we'd cracked it when we moved the saddle back a bit, but within a week her performance has dropped again. Every now and then she will give some work that is fab, but that seems to be less and less at the moment.

It doesn't help that our school is full of big stones at the moment, this really does put her off, but she has also been on and off when we've been hacking too.

Last weekend I tried to do some schooling to rule out naughtiness altogether (she has at times been very cantankerous although she is more unusual for her to be like this these days.) I felt awful but tried to take the firm tactic and it really got me no-where in the slightest, although with some coersion she went faster she ended up shoving her nose in the air and really refusing to give an outline.

I gave her three days off and went on a very gentle hack on Friday, what was really quite sad was that we got to a particular hill that is fairly steep but she usually puts in quite an effort to trot/canter it. My friend asked if we could canter and I told her to go ahead and we would follow at whatever speed Puz felt she could do, so off the other pony went.....and Puz just walked without so much of an incling that she wanted to go any faster, I was still holding the buckle of the reins so wasn't holding her back at all.

Thankfully the vet is booked for tomorrow morning, I think she may be getting a bit arthritic in one of her hind legs, I can actually see where her lumbar muscles are less developed on the side of the stiffer leg.

I'm going to ask the vet to take bloods and test for Cushings and liver function just incase as well.

It makes me sad to see my girl getting old - although I don't think there's anything hugely wrong or that can't be treated easily, but I'm still quite nervous to see what the vet says tomorrow!

Fingers crossed everything is OK, however, you know your Horse and as you say you have said several times of late you have a 'feeling' something isn't
right.

Lets hope it can all be sorted quite easily if there is a problem xxx

Hope the vet visit went well and gave you some answers. You know when your own horse isn't quite "right" . . . but it's better to know that's really going on than to be in the dark/guessing.

Hugs.

N

How did it go B&P? Im really glad you got the vet out - I so wish I had done back in Nov/Dec when madam was lethargic and tired and generally looking "old" - Im fairly sure we would have come to no conclusions, as even now she is obviously sick, much of the testing says "normal" - but I do wish I had got the vet out then.

Thankyou so much for all the kind comments!

The vet agreed that although she wasn't lame she did look stiff behind, she got marginally worse after a flexion test but not enough to warrant nerve blocking. So she's on two weeks of bute to see if that makes her more comfortable and if that makes a difference then we can investigate from there.

I also asked her to take bloods to test for early onset of Cushings, should get those results in a few days.

What was interesting was that I rode last Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon and thought she wasn't quite right at all, gave her Tues/Wed/Thurs off and Friday she was ok, but not great, still lethargic and not up for it. Gave her Sat/Sun/Mon off and she seemed a little perkier today - but then she only had to trot up and do a little bit of lunging.

So I guess it's just watch this space! I'm glad it's being investigated though.

I know how you feel PFB, it's so hard trying to work out what is the right thing to do!!!!

Hindsight is a fabulous thing - keep us updated how you go - I hope you get it sorted.

I'm not always a great believer at "throwing things" at problems to see if they help - however I would be tempted to try a course of Global Herbs Restore - it really did pick madam up, or perhaps some agnus castus.

I love the restore though - its like a detox - it really did help madam pants.

That's an interesting suggestion PFB and I'll certainly have a look at the Global Herbs range. I'm trying her on NAF Joint Flex at the moment to see if that makes much of a difference, can't see any so far though.

I was toying with the idea of Devils Claw or Cortaflex?

I'm also going to change her work routine and cut out working in the school altogether, the stones in there really aren't helping matters and I don't think she'll want to work in there properly even if she starts feeling fine and dandy. But I will do some schooling out hacking. I'll start hacking at an hour (we have been doing up to two hours but mainly walking) and start a very slow fitness routine, will be using my NR diary to make track how she's feeling at different stages and to see if I can pin point the stage at which she starts to tell me it's too much for her.

If she doesn't seem any better having had Bute for two weeks then we'll get some more bloods done to see if anything else could be contributing to her being a bit flat.

I would definitely try a joint supplement. Storm isn't quite right again,and I'm getting the vet out later this week. I posted a thread about her Cartrophen injections, she had them last year but has gone stiff again. She doesn't feel quite right - and OH commented that she looks like she's making such an effort and not really getting anywhere. I am going to see if I can put her on Cosequin through the insurance if the vet recommends it - either way I will try her on a supplement. Since she turned 15 it is all going pear-shaped!!!lol.
HOpe your mare is more herself again soon.

Well you've got the ball rolling, that's the main thing. I think apathy is a dangerous thing when it comes to the health of our horses. The little monsters can be so adept at hiding any issues they have. If nothing else, getting further investigation done will ease your mind somewhat and that in itself is worth it.

Ziggy and Mattie both have James Hart Devils Claw pure extract (a really strong one) every day when they are in work. Mattie particularly needs it; he is stiff from old injuries and without his DC he gets really creaky.

It's great stuff but be careful what you buy - some of the extracts are heavily diluted and don't contain much of the real herb.

I have been keeping up on your threads as you might remember that chanter had all the same issues

trewers Chanter had the same injections (3 times) but goes lame again after 6 months each time but completely sound a couple of days after having them. We are out if time on our insurance for one leg now so I have to pay and will be doing sp when I return in Sept. in the mean time he is on 1 bute a day and this is keeping him ticking over enough for me to hack everyday (only gentle no galloping or long canters ground to hard anyway) with the odd schooling session for 30 minutes.

He was on premiumflex plus as well but now he is just on D&B mobility herbs and the bute.

I hope you find out what is wrong soon or that you find a combination of supplements that work. Research is now saying that gloucosime (sp) is not proven in horses still and Devils claw over a long time can damage the liver. But I used Buteless for a while that I had a good result from.

Good luck

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, there are certainly tonnes of products out there! I'm going to have a searching session tomorrow evening and see what info I can pull up about all the different things out there.

ObC - I've been reading your replies with great interest as I know your boy has had the same problems.

I'll keep you all updated over the next few days as the bute kicks in as it'll be interesting to see how she gets on. The school is still very stony so I'm just going to avoid it as Puz will be reluctant to do much in there even if she felt like a spring chicken!!!

Be interesting to see if the blood tests show anything BnP.

I know a few people who have good things to say about Devils Claw but I guess what works for one wouldn't necessarily work for another and maybe
a case of trial and error on the supplements.

Will be watching with interest xxx

Im glad the vet is responding to your concern, I always worry they will think im being daft and that imagining it! Will keep my fingers crossed (although it doesn't make it as easy to ride!!)

newrider.com